Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Guilietta 120tb.

I want to install a dashcam that I bought. I'm going to try and hard wire it to the fuse box but I have a few questions, if anyone can help.

1) Once bought the hardwiring kit, which fuse do I plug it in to? I'm wanting to plug it in to one under the dash, but not sure which ones are "hot on start" or ones that are only active when the engine is on.

2) Are the any hardwring kits I need or will one from Halfords work ok?

If anyone has done it before and has pictures, that would be a great help! Thanks

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Your best bet is to get a cheap multimeter from ebay and have a probe around at the spare fuse sockets.

You should be able to fine one that is live with the ignition on.

Or tap into one of the live feeds for the cigar lighter/power socket.

Dash cams don't use huge amounts of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice. I have tried to do it as per the instructions that came with the kit but when I unplugged a fuse and plugged the replacement bit linked to the dashcam (including replacing the fuse so effectively, two things were plugged in to the fuse socket - this was as the instructions said) I got loads of error messages. Hill assist, DST, EC-something all now unavailable. I unplugged everything and returned it to normal and they went away.

Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Some circuits don't like being piggy backed however small the current draw. I'd look for the audio system/ cigar lighter fuse and try that one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kosymodo put a very helpful photo of the fuse box on here three months ago. At his suggestion I piggybacked my Nextbase hardwire kit (from Halfords) for my Nextbase 422 into bottom right fuse column three up. Had to use long nose pliers gently to remove the fuse because access was tight with a fat cable in the way. Then it was door seal off and dash endplate, then up to the mirror via the A pillar and tuck it under the headlining. It works perfectly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi davidsoniain

I installed a nextbase dashcam recently and used fuse location F42 to tap the power from, I have attached a photo of the fusebox and locations to help you out too :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Another thread also said 37 was ignition switched as well (works for dashcam).
You will find an earth under the carpet right by the fusebox, you need to pull off the bonnet release, remove a screw then remove the trim by the drivers kick to access it as I recall.

Cigarette lighter is the obvious choice.. but its in the engine bay fusebox!

The radio does not have an ignition switched as I recall, it takes the signal from the CAN bus for ignition is on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I piggy-backed off F31. It's labelled as "various devices" so I thought that would include dashcam in my case, also it's easy to get at. It's ignition switched and I've not had any issues since connecting a year ago.

·
Administrator
87,619 Posts
I would have used a fuse tap if the cigarette lighter fuse wasn't in the engine bay !

Instead I decided to use the 12V socket in the boot, the wiring was there I just had to fit the socket, see here for part numbers No 12v socket in boot

I'm powering a dashcam & satnav from that socket using an adaptor which is a twin 12v socket + twin USB socket. The dashcam cable is long enough, I had to use an extension cable for the satnav.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used fuse F53 5A to power up my TomTom nav. Its gets +12v when ing is on.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There should be power and ground available from the courtesy light cluster and that circuit wont mind a few mA draw. If you intend to mount the dashcam high, say behind the mirror thats the obvious place to connect

1 - 13 of 13 Posts