Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to change my front chrome grill, as it had some chrome bubbling issues, decided to buy a "sport" grill from Germany. Received the grill yesterday and installed it. I also installed a set of DRL's.

All is done and working properly but I am not sure it looks as good as it did before these changes... less is more I always say... should I strip everything down and go back to the original chrome grill (will order a new original one) and lose the DRLs ? What do you guys think ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Stick to the original grill and lose the DRLs. Neither of them makes any sense in respect to the lines of beautiful original front end.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I dont like the grille. toshy is right.... go back to the original.

i wouldnt remove the drls though , not just yet... do the grille and then take another look.

if it still looks wrong, then take them off then

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Sorry mate, looks busy not a fan here

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The DRLs have a wiff of the Audi fairylights about them. The key design theme of the front end is circles (i.e. all the lights are circles), and the DRLs jar with that IMHO

·
Registered
831 Posts
The DLRs could work if you put them further apart, under the fog lights so their shape would go better with the front spoiler's lines, but... even so I don't see their point.
They're a bit too low on the bumper for them to fulfill their and on a car that wasn't designed for LED DRL's they won't save any fuel or whatever.
So it's down to how much "blingy" you like it to be :)

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Sorry but don't like it. Especially the chrome but on the top of the grill beside the Alfa badge, just makes it look too big.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sorry but don't like it. Especially the chrome but on the top of the grill beside the Alfa badge, just makes it look too big.
Don't all 159s have chrome bits there? In fact that's part of the badge isn't it?

I think it's only the Brera/Spider that has black wings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your input, as I said, I too thought it did not look good. Just got off the phone with my local Alfa dealer, will go in tomorrow morning and pick up my new oem chrome grill :) Will see how things look with the grill changed. If it still lucks funny, I will remove the DRL's as well.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Don't all 159s have chrome bits there? In fact that's part of the badge isn't it?
I've seen a 159 with a replacement grille recently where outside of the immediate badge surround, the top of the grille is black plastic rather than chrome.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've seen a 159 with a replacement grille recently where outside of the immediate badge surround, the top of the grille is black plastic rather than chrome.
They're interchangeable. Brera has the upper bit made to look "thinner" because the Alfa scudetto it's smaller on Brera and it would look fat and distorted with a thick chrome bar on top.

Zagom, I think this is the grill you have and It would look pretty cool actually if you could somehow paint the inner V black, and leave the rest of the bits chromed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
No, I don't like the new grill and please, please, please ditch those LEDs, only deluded chavs put them on their cars.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hmm, I'd say original grille but keep the DRLs - they're quite tastefully done in this instance (don't look like an Audi).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't mind that grille to be honest; I don't like it so much that I'd change mine, but if I'd already got it on I wouldn't bother changing it back. It looks neat and OEM, just different to the original but not in a better or worse way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts