Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might know i had the Cam Variator replaced some days ago with a lot smoother running and a little more torque as the result.
Of course i was interrested in how the variator worked ( why i did not !) and tooke the old one apart.
Had some photos taken and here are some links ( hope it works) if you want tohave a look.

My comments to the pictures :

(Lets call the parts 1-4 from the left)

The spring goes between part 2 and 4 as the are shown.

The oilpressure goes through part 4 and pushes part 2 against part 4 collapsing the spring.

When part 2 is moving it forces a twist to part 4
because of the slanted traces in part 1 and 2.

When revs and oilpressure drops the spring brings back part 2 to idle possition.

end.

The parts looks almost like new and feels very accurately fitting into each other. Of course the O-ring on part 4 may be worn but it doesn't show.
The spring may be worn ( not able to push back part 2 ) This could be the reason why the ticking noise when idle.
If the spring is the problem it would be easy to replace it.

Anybody whith comments?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you can buy the spring seperate but to pay anyone to dissmantle the thing and fit new one is prob just as dear as buying new variator some cars cannot have this process done its to do with a coloured dot on the belt end of variator some cars have to have the exhaust cams changed i think (jimybob?) but it does get frustrating though as i need one myself but begrudge paying for belts tensioners and gaskets !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the comments, fletch.

I wouldn't mind changing the spring to a new one on this variator for a pint and a old variator and make some alfist happy wink
Mine has a blue color dot... Anybody knows what this tells me ?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Hammer:
i´m really interested to see your pictures but when I go to the links it says that I´m not athorised to see the page ?
do you know why ?
Regards
Jorge :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, back to the real problem.

Where can i get a new spring?
What does the color code mean?
And why should it not be posssible to change the spring in some models of the variators?

Hammer

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
the info i found was on alfa digest some were it was actual alfa remedie for this prob
but i think it was the inlet valves and not the cam that was to changed on some models
dont know why but if i have time later i will try and find it and send post address to
this site hope i havent caused more trouble than its worth .

G

·
From Service News nr. 5/1999 24.05.1999:

Various models with 4-cyl TS engines.

Follows the adoption of a new phase transformer with a teflon seal and spring with increased loading. It tells us to either replace or rebuild the transformer depending on model and engine number.

(1) 156 and 166 up to engine nr 1378867: add teflon seal and replace spring.

145/6 & GTV/Spider engine nr between 909376 and 1378867: add seal and replace spring.

(2) 145/6 & GTV/Spider engine nr before 909376 and equipped with 1st edition transformer with a BLUE mark: replace transformer with a current production version.

So far so good. Then it gets confusing:

"Note: the vehicles described in point (2) can be fitted with a transformer with a GREEN mark on the casing, also recognizable by the double groove on the outer casing; on these transformers, in addition to replacing the actual transformer, the inlet camshaft must also be replaced using current production components."

I read this to mean that some vehicles may have had the green mark transformer fitted when built. If so, the camshaft needs to be replaced in order to replace the transformer with a current model.

So it seems that there are at least four versions of the pt:
first edition (green mark): non-updatable; incompatible camshaft.
second edition (blue mark): non-updatable, compatible camshaft.
third edition (nr 909376 to 1378867): updatable.
fourth edition: the updated version with teflon seal and stronger spring.

Frankly, I don't know if this applies to 155 engines as well, but I would think so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts