Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having removed the shafts to replaced both the inner and outer boots, the inner joint was washed out and disasembled, is now proving impossible to rebuild in the correct way. The bearings all go back in but the joint won't move - any idea's.
BTW the allen key fitting of the six securing bolts is a real beaut :mad: :rant: , for skinning knuckles - had to cut one out with a hacksaw blade, only took an hour.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Everything should be greased well before reassembling - have you done that?

Otherwise they can be stuck rock solid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I seem to remember something about this when I did mine. I think it was the case that when I finally got all the balls into place and slid it all together the outer ring of the joint ended up offset too far from the centre part and was stuck solid. A good dunt on the workbench knocked it along a bit to align properly where it all worked as it should. Having said that it was good while ago and I can't remember it very cleary - by that time it was dark, I was knackered and I needed the car running by the morning. Most of us have been there I think.

Cheers

Hugh.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Lads,
I have tried both your suggestions, but no luck. I read something in the manuals last night about lining up the narrow part of the inner part will the widest part of the outer - any options?

J

·
0 Posts
if you got it together and it wont turn then its wrong....these things go together the way you think they shouldnt....if you do it right you will find that the cage seems like its never going in...it will...you need to have the inner joint and the cage and the outer ring all half in and half together then without warning wizz bang pop it all goes in.......you might find that on some there is are small 'dots' thet line up together.. i know there a pain but trust me if it seems ok goes together easy and but wont turn its wrong.!!

J

·
0 Posts
another though....if you look really close at the face of the inner joint you may be able to see which side the circlip was fitted,and the same with the outer joint look to see if you can find any marks to sugest what side was fitted on the same side as the circlip on the inner..if you can then great all you will need to do then is decide what way round the cage goes.

E

·
0 Posts
Jimybob is right, the inner and outer ring do go together the way you think they shouldn't, meaning that the grooves on the inner ring should cross the grooves in the outer ring, so that they form an X with the ball held where the grooves cross. I found it easiest to put in 2 opposite balls first, with the cage fitted, then angle the inner ring in the outer and squeeze in the other balls and swivel the inner ring into position. It should come together quite easily then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts