Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I need to purchase new inlet manifold because the swirl flaps on the old one broke and have caused the usual damage.

What should I purchase, the original replacement part or the one that is being mentioned here from Pierburg?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you have the metal- flapped Magneti Marelli manifold far better to clean it, remove the flaps and blank the spindle holes. They can be easily tapped to take an M6 bolt with Loctite. No need to fit a different manifold at all. Blank the EGR and have it mapped out by Autolusso for £150. or they'll do the whole lot for you (welds instead of bolts I think).

[Edit: lots of detail on swirl flap removal and blanking the spindle holes, including pics, in the long thread at http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...s-how-and-maf-clean-how-anywhere-159-1-a.html ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll talk to my mechanic and let him know about the possible option of cleaning the manifold. I've been browsing the threads during the weekend and have seen that many JTDM engines have been affected by this problem.

I'm not living in UK, so I have to look somewhere else for the remap of the ECU. :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
You can post your ECU to Autolusso and they'll do it for £150 + postage.

Changing the metal-flapped manifold for a flapless CF2 will be complicated as the CF4 ECU expects to see the swirl flap actuator and will throw an error if it doesn't, because there isn't one.

If you de-flap your existing manifold there's no problem, because you leave the actuator in place and operational although the rack and pinion and swirl valves have been removed. The ECU doesn't know nor care that it's just rotating the actuator spindle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts