Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone has had this so they can enlighten me!!

The injector light is coming on but its a bit odd which is why I've posted this.

It seems to be coming on with a bit of a pattern. Every night I drive home from work and its ok until I get halfway up this one hill and it comes on!!

Seems to be occuring just as the temperature reaches 90 degrees and at about 2000revs in fifth.

It also comes on at other times but with no pattern, there is no discenable loss in power (well, it is a V6 :) ).

Any ideas on this? (water temp sensor???)

It will have to go to the dealers but they will just say its Lambda so I'd like to have some other suggestions!

wrinx

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Using a process of elimination, drive a different way home to remove the hill from the equation.

Other than that, the usual (lambda sensor) or a wire to it would be my best guess. Sorry!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try an independant auto electricians... and see what their diagnistic computer comes up with.

do the same with the alfa guys and see if the result is the same

apart from that...

change the seat adjustment so you're sitting further backwards... that'll fix it :D :D

hey... you're not wearing a blouse are you??

J

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Chris......... :p

Knew I could rely on you guys for some well thought out technical help :)

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Oh all right.
If you are going uphill then it may be a fuel pressure problem. Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Fuel pump OK? The Garage should be able to test your fuel pressure which should be approx 3bar at idle and capable of exceeding 4 bar at revs (manual gives details).

The big question is what causes the light to come on - you really need to check the error code to find out what the system has a problem with.

You can check if the injectors are OK by checking continuity between pin 1 on the injectors and pin 32 of the control unit (cylinders 3,5,6)yellow/black wire, or pin 3 of the control unit (cylinders 1,2,4), yellow wire.

Also, low revs and high load are a good way to find weakness in the ignition system although why the injector light would come on I dont know!

Cant get any more serious than that!
:rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Chris,

whatever is wrong is getting worse, its staying on for longer periods and did it from start up this afternoon.

Its booked in for a diagnostic on Monday so I'll let you know.

BTW is there a Gunsons type code reader available for 155's. Went to Halfords and they didnt think so, anyone? Dont fancy payin £50 at an Alfa dealer evrytime theres a light flashing :(

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Whats wrong with the 'pump the accelerator' method. That gives you the error code and you only need to compare it to the alfa codes.

Hmm... - best check your profile mail :cool:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well now nearly a month has gone have you sorted it yet? :eek:

Are you going to tell us :confused: wink :)

Did you get stung at Autoworld or did you find somewhere else?

See you at PAD

Mike

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.........

It went to Autoworld for a diagnostic......Lambda sensor needed apparantly.

New one fitted today, ok for but half hour then the light came on again once. Will have to see over the next few days. Dunno if the ECU was reset or needs to be done to get rid of the fault code.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well its just one of those little Alfa things

My low oil level light is now on. it came on after I changed the oil. Funny thing was that after I drained the oil I switched the ignition on to see if the check panel light worked as it has never come on before(only the one in the main instument panel had lit up occasionally on a hill).

Anyway it didn't register a low oil level, but once I put the fresh oil in it came on???? :rolleyes:

Mike

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike

I've had the oil light appear on the check panel and intruments pod but oil if full!! You are not alone :(

The injector light has come on once a day since last week but no hesitation any more, and its only appearing for a few seconds.......getting there!

wrinx

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WRINX,

My 155 V6 did the same thing, pump accelerator 5 times while ignition is on start. Error code was 1-2-2-4 lambda sensor, caused intermittent power loss and injector light came on.

Solution? replace lambda sensor with one from Denso for UKP$20.

Great!

BTW, where can I get performance exhaust manifold for the V6?

Cheers

Zamani
'96 155 V6 Squadra Chipped

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, did the pedal thing and got the same error code, but its just had a new lambda sensor :confused: and the light stayed on a bit longer today :(

Here we go again :mad: any suggeastions???

wrinx

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wrinx,

I may have been wrong. Maybe 1-2-2-3 is a lambda sensor. 1-2-2-4 is probably the water temp or air temp sensor ( I forgot). Usually this causes teh exhaust to smell a little more petrol-like. My brother's 155 V6 has this error code, 1-2-2-4 I think. What code did you get?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi evo

Think I may have done the test wrong. Just looked in the manual and it sez use a bulb connected to pin 8 of the control unit and the ignition. When i pumped the accelerator 5 times the injector warning light flashed 1 2 2 4 which is the code for Lambda (I checked, 1 2 2 3 is regulation of lambda probe), is this the same I wonder, as doing it with a bulb??

I think it is temperature related and will have to do some more testing, always happens just as water temp hits normal and engine under load about 2000 revs.

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
err just a thought but has any of you changed the water temp sensor it should be in the thermostat usualy with a blue connector on it when ever a punto has the inj light on 9/10 we change the temp sensor and it never does it again.if this sensor is faulty you may not even feel any performance loss at all.good news is you can get then from any motorfactor that deals with intermotor the part number is IM55450 (2.0 16v)they only cost a few quid and are easier and cheaper to change than a lambda.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Jimybob

That was one of my initial thoughts, but had one changed on my 1.8 and it made no difference :( This was done at the main dealer and they charged me a damn sight more than a few quid, £100 if I remember right :mad:

After replacng the oxygen sensor and still having the problem I'm thinking temperature (as mentioned above) so you may have hit upon the root of it all!!

Is there a way of testing the sensor (values?) other than replacing it?? And one more favour, do you have the part number for a V6??

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you cant realy test them i will get you the number for the v6(posh boy)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts