Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the injector warning light came on twice during my journey home from work. Each time it was only on for about 30 seconds. Nothing happened, the car (2.0 16v) is running fine - does this suggest water temp sensor rather than lambda? Fuel consumption is normal, power and idle are smooth.

I tried that error code thing (depressing accelerator 5 times within 5 seconds with key at marcia) but nothing happened :( Man, I can't do anything right :mad: . Will this only work if the injector light is on because of a fault, or should it work at any time?

Another possibility is my own ineptitude :eek: . Decided to attempt changing the spark plugs this weekend, started to remove the leads etc and tiny cracks started to appear so I panicked and bolted the cover back on pending another attempt next weekend under supervision. Could I have messed something up here? I suspected not because there is no misfire or anything, but you never know!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
humm.. mine has come on twice since i had my car... i did expierience like a cut out though on one of those occasions... only for about a second. it was wierd. since i had a fiddle with the plugs though i havent seen it. my other car the injector light used to come on on start up and stay for about 30 seconds then just go off. i know it had been check by the previous owner and just turned out to be a dodgy sensor.

so i guess...if u have fiddled with any leads/ssparks just have a play with em and make sure they are in properly..all i can suggest really

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the HT leads insulation from the description. This won't help but probably not the cause of the light.

It can be caused by many things and to be honest I've been ignoring it on both my cars for years.

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure if you read your hand book it does say that the light may come on 'briefly' under normal conditions.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys. I saw that in the handbook, but haven't seen the light once before in 15000 miles ans then saw it twice in one day so I wondered 'why now?' It hasn't come back on, so I'll ignore it then.

The bits that started to crack are the rubber boots over the top of the plugs. To be honest I'm surprised the car even works - when I got the cover off the leads were a bit of a mess. Will address it on saturday.

What about this fault code thing then - why didn't that work for me? frown

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx is right, it doesn't work on the 16V.
I damaged one of my short leads when changing the plugs. Cost about £16 from the dealer.
It may be that the lead is damaged and your only firing on one plug on one of the cyliners. Mine ran Ok for a couple of days with a broken lead until I could replace it. I did notice a slight flufiness eek! on a light throttle but apart from that it was fine. I didn't get the warning light however. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, fitted the plugs last weekend with some supervision from tracee's old man and the car is running sweeter than ever. All the jerkiness at low revs has completely gone. Haven't seen the injector light again either.

Man, those centre plugs are in tight aren't they? We destroyed a plug wrench trying to get the buggers out. When they did come out they were still in good nick and presumably still the original ones at 64k miles. Only one problem, some oil in one of the plug wells - likely to be the cam cover gasket?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Dont worry about the oil in the plug wells, both plugs of cylinders 1 and 4 were full on mine when i changed them at 66K. The new rocker cover gaskets are about £13. think the leaking problem goes away if you swap for a 156 cover but i prefer i nice polished metal engine cover :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you got the plugs fitted BW, glad I could be of some service. I got new rocker gaskets from mangoletsi for about £7 I think. Yes I know the plugs do look good even after very high mileage, but apparently the problem is the ceramic insulation can breakdown which can affect the efficiency of the spark

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What model does the fault finder thing work on,i tried it on mine too but no joy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts