Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just noticed tonight, that the injector warning light does not go off after a couple of seconds, as it used to. It goes off once the engine is running, and doesn't come back till the next time I start the car (GTV 2.0 TS) As the light seems to be a 'there's a problem somewhere in the ECU/MAF/Alarm/CODE/ashtray/glovebox' warning, I naturally checked the oil level, the tyre pressures and polished my chrome tailpipe (don't tell the wife, she hates it when I do that) ... no change, still no 2 seconds and off.

The car starts, idles, runs, pulls and does everything as normal, so what can it be? Is it the cold weather? The temperature gauge only gets to 70-75°, but it always has. It certainly warms my feet nicely on the way to work, so it can't be running too cold.

I've scoured the forums for other threads with the same issue, but to no avail. Others have lights staying on, coming on whilst driving etc. etc. but nobody seems to have the same problem as mine.

I'm taking the car into Black & White in Hermitage this weekend for a 1 hour 'investigatory session' as I want to know what needs doing to get it back into A1 condition. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, so a professional look around seems a good idea.

If anyone has a clue as to the warning light issue, please share it with us. If not I'll post the error codes and verdict on the forum once I've got the bus back from B&W :eek:

Cheers,

Blakie

·
Registered
317 Posts
Morning Blakie, not sure about the light, I thought they all did that, mind I've never left the ignition on long enough to let the light go out before starting the engine. I'll see what mine does when it defrosts enough to be able to get in to it. On your running temperature though, mine was the same until I put a new thermostat in, now it sits just under the 90 degree mark. You can get one for about £35 and its a doddle to fit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info about the thermostat, I'll get one and fit it this weekend.

Jury still out on the warning light.

Cheers,

Blakie

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Mine always went out before I started the engine, then at the end of last year I had a problem with the throttle pot where the light stayed on all the time.

Once the problem with the pot had gone away, my light was like yours - i.e. stayed on for a couple of seconds after starting the engine.

After getting a diagnostic read and fault code clear mine is back to the way it used to be, i.e. switches off before I start the engine.

So it looks like:
Light off before ignition - good
Light on all the time - bad
Light off after ignition - good just now, but something bad has happened in the past.

At least that's what it looks like based on what happened with mine, so it might be worth getting the fault codes read / cleared?

·
Registered
317 Posts
It would seem illogical for the light to go out before the engine has started, surely it can't run a full diagnostic if the engine isn't running. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the keycode light?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe spoke too soon ... having only had the light on at startup, tonight it came on briefly as I was pulling out of the end of the road.

The engine power was cut and the car slowed for a second, then the light went off and all went back to normal.

It looks like it may be a lose connector, badly mounted relay or a broken wire.

In view of reports of the light staying on after a problem, it may have happened before, but I haven't noticed it.

Looks like my trip to Black & White can't come soon enough ... :cry:

Once I know the fault code, I can try to pinpoint the problem.

More news when I have some ...

Blakie

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
nosbork said:
It would seem illogical for the light to go out before the engine has started, surely it can't run a full diagnostic if the engine isn't running. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the keycode light?
Can't speak for Blakie, but in my case definitely not.

Turn the key and both the code and the injector light come on, wait a couple of seconds and then they both go off, the code light slightly before the injector light. It's been that way for the two years I've owned the GTV, and the only time it's behaved differently was when it had a fault code stored, as described. Once the stored fault had been cleared, it's back to the same as it always was.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Blakie, given the age of your car it could be that you're developing a fault with the injector (e.g., you might have deposits building up etc). Get some of that redexx stuff and see if that will clear it. If not, I'm afaid you might need to visit you local friendly mechanic ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips folks.

Fortunately I have a slot booked at Black & White in Hermitage on Saturday, so watch this space.

Newer models of the GTV can show you the error codes through a combination of ignition and other jiggery pokery, but sadly not mine.

I've added the Redex cleaner, it won't do any harm and the old girl may well enjoy it.

Thanks again, very reassuring to have a bunch of like minded petrol heads who seem to have seen all the issues before.

Enjoy the snow :p

Blakie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: Injector Light ... but now big problems !!!

So having had the diagnostics checked by B&W and finding nothing, they told me that the injector light should stay on till the engine is started, then go out.

I was still a little worried that it had changed since buying the car, but it ran perfectly and so I relaxed and forgot the problem.

Yesterday, coming back from work I went over a fairly sharp bump, the injector light came on and the engine died. A second later the light went off again and the power came back.

Today I went out for a short spin, all was well and the Redex has really made a huge difference to the acceleration, I was in 7th heaven. 200 yards from home, on a normal, smooth road, the injector light came on and stayed on, the engine died and could not be restarted. When turning the ignition on, the code light did not come on at all.

I called B&W but their workshop closes at 12:00 so they had no technical hints to offer. I called the RAC and they were with me within half an hour.

I had checked all the fuses, reseated the relays and tried the Master key, no joy. The service guy checked the code module for dry joints, bypassed the inertia/cut off switch and tried swapping the relays around a bit. After an hour he tried measuring the voltage a a few points around the relay box under the bonnet. He suggested that he put a 12v feed to one of the 7.5A fuses and bingo, the code light came on and the car started. He removed the feed and the engine died. We tried again and this time the code light came on but started flashing. So the RAC got the car back to our house and I'm stuck.

I've searched the forums, but not found this symptom in any other thread. Can anyone help?

I've got a call to B&W booked for Monday, but the car is dead as a Dodo engine wise. :(

Anyone got any clues ???

Blakie

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Re: Injector Light ... but now big problems !!!

Blakie said:
So having had the diagnostics checked by B&W and finding nothing, they told me that the injector light should stay on till the engine is started, then go out.
I guess I have to bow to B+W's better knowledge, but that's not the way the light in mine behaves (except when it had a stored fault) and according to the manual:

Phase II manual said:
Injection system malfunction When the ignition key is turned to the MAR position the warning light should come on and then go out after a few seconds.
...which is exactly how mine behaved before it had a fault, and again after the fault code was cleared.

Can't help with your main problem, though. :( Hope it works out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Now the car is back and sat for a while have you tried putting the 12 volts back on the fuse point the RAC chap was using to see if the car will now start or still has the light flashing. Also which fuse did he connect to ie what does is supply?

Regards Andy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Andy, something has changed overnight. The code light is still refusing to light but the injector light is doing the same now.

I haven't tried putting the 12v back on what I believe is the injector system fuse.

I'm flying blind really. If I had the wiring diagrams I might have half a chance but I'm just poking around in the dark to see if there is anything loose or obvious, very frustrating.

Coupled with the problem of trying to convince Mrs Blakie that this won't happen every other weekend ... no easy task :(

I'll go and try the 12v/fuse trick and let you know what happens.

Blakie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the 12v workaround, no change. No code or injector lights.

It's just been one of those weekends :(

I'll call B&W tomorrow (and maybe the Alfa Workshop) and let you know where I get to.

Blakie

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Could it be an ECU problem?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Folks, the car is going into Whitequay Alfa Romeo in Reading to be fixed.

I suspect it's not going to be a major problem, though the symptoms are rather grave. It's going to turn out to be a dodgy joint, connector or something. The good thing is that the fault is now constant so AR can hook the diagnostics up and find the problem easlily.

As a software engineer, I know that the most difficult fault to find is one that comes and goes. One you can reproduce 'on demand' is usually easily fixed.

It might end up costing more in labour than parts but I'm trying to think positive and look on the bright side.

More news when I get it.

Cheers,

Blakie

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts