Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my airconditioning belt snapped. Probably because of the tightner (is this correct english?) that got stuck during heavy cold. It tore off half of the belt on the highway, but I was able to get it fixed the same day.

The problem is that after I picked up the car, the warning light for the injectors won't go out. When I think of it, on the way to the garage it was on allready. On high revs it just lacks power and the noise is terrible! I think the camshaftvariator finally broke down on me, but will that explain the warning light?

If it's the camshaftvariator it wouldn't be that big of a problem, I should have the belts renewed as well so that can all be done in one job. But the last thing I need right now is a problem on the injection system...

It's a 1995 2.0 TS 16v with a modified chip running on LPG.

PS: pardon my french, I'm Dutch wink

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hello gais, i wouldnt think that loosing that belt would have any effect on the inj,light.
i dont think the variator would cause so much loss of power either...did part of the belt get stuck behind the timing cover and cause the timing to jump a few teeth..???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean the cover of the cam belt? I'm not sure, but when I checked it didn't seem to be damaged. But should it be possible for the belt to skip a few teeth and still run without damaging the valves? The engine is running fine (still rough, but nothing unusual) at low revs.
It won't climb up as it used to. I allready took out the multicable of the Bosch Motronic and disconnected the battery in order to force the management to reset. Didn't help either...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was just an idea...but yes it is possible.
is the poor running a direct result of loosing the belt.??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I think is purely coincidental. Well, that's what I "hope" for it to be. I think the belt snapped, and on the other hand the camshaftvariator broke down. All somehow caused by the cold.

But you say the loss in power caused by a broken variator couldn't be that much? It's not like it won't run at all, it's more a lack of power >3500 rpm combined with LOTS of engine noise.
Can you explain to me the symptoms of a broken camshaftvariator?

Two other possibilities I'm thinking of are that it's running on only three cylinders (what could explain the warning light) or a damaged exhaust (what would explain the engine noise).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a variator problem would cause the noise and loss of power if it was really worn out,.but im not sure if it would also make the inj,light come one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the sound is best described as "running withouth dampers but only at high revs" :D
It sounds and drives like a diesel that is forced to do 5000 rpm.

I'll take it to the local Alfa garage in the morning and have it wired up to see if it's an electrical problem.

Keep you informed, thanks for the quick replies!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update, the variator will be changed, the cambelts will be changed and the cam-timer(? not sure if I'm using the correct words here) will be changed. It's still returning about 6 errors in the engine management, but he told me to wait untill the first repairs were made before he'd try to locate those errors.
Now I'll have to wait till thursday for the parts to arrive.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o.k. finally picked the car back up at the local garage.
- belts replaced + tightners (?) (balancer / distribution)
- camshaft variator replaced
- camshaft actuator replaced
- 8 spark-plugs
- a litlle oil, some bolts and some small parts.

Hmmm, seems I'll be driving it for another year from now. Not that that's going to be a punishment, but I wanted to start looking for something new this summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts