Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I replaced my lambda about 3 months ago with a genuine Bosch item, and everything has been fine up untul this week when the injector light has started coming on again with intermittent "kangarooing" on part throttle openings and is almost un-drivable, which is a bit of a pain with a 20 mile journey to work every day.

I've tried swapping the relay's, checking the uses etc to no avail.

The plugs are 50k miles old now, if they're past it would I get the sort of symptoms i'm getting now?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Perchance is the light on all the time or just sometimes? and when it kangaroo's if you put your foot to the floor does it stop???

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Are you getting black soot around your tailpipe?

Sounds like it may be overfuelling slightly if it's kangarooing.
Does it sometimes take a while to start after it's been warm, then stopped?

If it does, then it's more than likely your temperature sender.

HTH :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The light isn't on all the time, usually when I take my foot off he throttle it comes on and then when I put my foot back down there's no power for a second or so then it picks up.
If I drive everywhere at 10 10ths it's not too bad, but when just cruising at 70 it will start just losing power, almost like it's going to cut out, then pick up and I just look like a nodding dog.

I've bitten the bullet and booked it into an alfa garage tomorrow morning to get it on the diagnositics, i may as well find out for sure what's wrong with it before throwing money at bits I don't even know are faulty.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well that's exactly what mine is doing so I'd be really intersted to hear what it is!!! I swopped the MAF and a whole load of stuff with no effect so I'm curious to hear what they say :confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the air flow meter apparently (is that the same as a MAF?).

Just over £200 + VAT from Alfa :eek: I told them I'd be in touch!

But funnily enough, since I left Alfa the car hasn't missed a beat,so whether they reseated a connector or reset something I don't know.

Does anyone now where you cab get these parts cheaper,I presume it's fairly easy to fit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, Bobdabilda's on a roll, next question:

Will a MAF for a CF2 TS engine fit my 155 as that's the only model not listed on shop4parts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Queried shop4parts and they said their AFM wouldn't fit and they can't source the correct one, doh!

R

·
0 Posts
The fuel injector light illuminates on my 155 1.8 16v (1996) every couple of months or so. When this happens the engine looses power for a few seconds and then recovers (after spitting a bit).

Although I have not been able to implement a permanent fix to this problem, there is a temporary solution that I found on this very forum....

There are two wires, connected by plastic blocks with spring retaining clips, to the airflow meter (thats the large pipe slightly above and behind the battery).

With the engine switched off, simply unplug both connections (one at a time) and give them a good al' blow out. Then reconnect them and everything is fine again for a few months.

I have to keep repeating this exercise every couple of months, but it only takes a couple of minutes so I just live with it. I guess there may be a way to permanently clean out the system, but I don't know how to do this.

Please note that I'm no mechanic, so please seek further advice before doing the above if you are not sure of what you are doing.

M

·
0 Posts
the same thing has been happening on my 1.8 16vTS. this is the 2nd time it's happend. Rob's fix works, so i'm going to get some contact cleaners in the connectors to see if that will cure it long term. when the bonus comes through this year, a 156 is probably on the cards (the wife's suggestion!!!) so i don't want to throw any cash at it.

J

S

·
0 Posts
hi all some of you will remember that i had the same problem--come off the throttle and the light would come on also light throttle it would cough. i tried the fuse cleaning/swap, injection cleaner. no difference. it would be ok for one trip them just when you thought it was another "italian car thing" it was back.
how did i cure it? well i lost my temper with it coughing in traffic i just floored in neutral let it sit on the rev limiter for a split second---then thought that was a dumb thing to do.BUT no more problems for about 3 months!!!!! so was it crap in the injectors? fuel lines? not a clue.
i'm not recomending this if your unsure of your cam belt or tensioner condition. the other thing i have noticed is that if the fuel tank gets low(light flickering on) and i go down a bumpy road(read very bumpy) i get it the injection ligh on and coughing back but one quick go on the limitter and its fine. i reckon that i may have some water in the tank, i first thought it was crap in the tank but the filter would deal with that.
i now no longer go down my mum and dads road (more off road concrete) if my tank is near the last quater. as another point i do have uprated suspension(g&m) this may shake the tank more.
good luck i'm sorry i cant shed any more light on this problem other than what worked for me.
on a side note my 155 sailed through another mot---yes
still smiling- would i buy another yes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts