Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High All......Has Anybody out there used Injector Cleaners / Treatments and are they any good / any use. Also can they cause any unwanted side effects like killing the Cat or blocking fuel filters ????. I have a 156 2.0 JTS, now at 105k miles and has been fine to date but a few weeks ago it started to misfire very slightly under load....Doesn't do it on every trip and never when cruising on a light or steady throttle.....Also appears to be in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range, but as I say only when pulling medium to hard in a high gear through that rev range.... The plugs and coil packs have been checked and these are not the culprit.....My Indie suspects it may be an injector but until an engine warning light pops up with a fault code we have little to go on......In the meantime I thought a dose of injector treatment may be worth a try.......Any comments would be appreciated and which is the best one to go for....Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
450 Posts
330ml of Terpentine Substitute per full tank every 5/6 tanks.

Terraclean has some very good reviews.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It could easily be a pre cat oxygen sensor connector

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
330ml of Terpentine Substitute per full tank every 5/6 tanks.

Terraclean has some very good reviews.
Agreed, or about the same amount of parafin.
I read up on JTS problems before buying mine and have been pretty religious about adding injector cleaner every 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. She's done 74k now with no signs of trouble.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Archoil 6200 concentrate....it works amazingly well!....not just a tonic such as redex and the like!!!

Do some research on the product.

Good luck

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I use Forte every 5000 miles, combined with a trip up the motorway in third or fourth gear.

Can't tell you if it works to be honest; had the injectors go wrong at 67k, and been doing this until now at 91k, but I wouldn't expect problems even without it until 120ish.

As for VPower etc, I had injector failure whilst I was regularly using it, although I did sometimes use Tesco fuel too. Whether it contributed was anyone's guess, but it certainly didn't cure anything.

Edit: reading back through my thread of the time (http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/296908-strange-156-woes-post-misfire.html), I tried injector cleaner when faced with what the OP describes, and it didn't help. If I were to do it again, I'd suggest ragging it about a bit too (Italian tuneup!), but I suspect it's probably too late for the OP.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My local garage uses Forte fuel treatments as part of every service. Sign of a top notch garage if you ask me!

As for Vpower and Ultimate causing valve issues that's the first I've heard of it. Is there any firm evidence of this anywhere?

S

·
0 Posts
I stick half a litre of paraffin in both my cars every few months on a full tank, then let it run down to near empty before filling with Shell V Power. Seems to keep them happy. Been doing this for 3 years on my Ford and 2 years on my GTA.

PS Terraclean on my GTA did absolutely jack all. Total waste of money.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you get the COSSH data sheet for these snake oils you'll find they're mostly - if not all - paraffin. That's kerosene for those of you out there in the colonies!

Apologies if I've muddied the water, but I was referring to diesel injector cleaner; I don't know if petrol injector cleaner is the same, similar or completely different!

G

·
0 Posts
Injector cleaning

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the tv show wheeler dealers but they have been using a new machine that you connect up to the car that completely cleans the combustion chamber and injectors etc supposed to be the bees knees can't think what it's called but if you search the show on face book or discovery channel there should be a link think it costs about £40 but u only need to do it every 50-60,000 miles or so got to be worth a look,,may help prevent some of the mentioned probs and would be cheaper in the long run!!!! :) think it works for all fuel types but u need to check.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the tv show wheeler dealers but they have been using a new machine that you connect up to the car that completely cleans the combustion chamber and injectors etc supposed to be the bees knees can't think what it's called but if you search the show on face book or discovery channel there should be a link think it costs about £40 but u only need to do it every 50-60,000 miles or so got to be worth a look,,may help prevent some of the mentioned probs and would be cheaper in the long run!!!! :) think it works for all fuel types but u need to check.
BG products .

S

·
0 Posts
That's Terraclean. Endorsed by Ed China. Costs £110 per treatment full price. Some garages offer intro discounts and the like. The product itself is £25 to buy for the two 1 litre canisters of highly refined petrol to the dealers at retail prices. The rest of the fee is labour cost and profit for the garage. Many garages are pushing it as a required part of an annual service.

G

·
0 Posts
They really know how to take the p*** that's discusting had no idea they had pushed the price so high

·
Registered
450 Posts
My local agent charge £69.99 for a petrol car up to 2000cc, £84.99 for a petrol car over 2000c
£94.99 for a diesel car up to 2000cc, and £124.99 for a diesel vehicles over 2000cc inc.VAT and an emission test before and after.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts