Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with injector cleaner additives?

I've been advised to put some in the 16V, as the injectors are a bit 'gummy' apparently, but there seem to be quite a few different ones. :confused:

Can anyone recommend a good / warn against a bad one?

I

·
0 Posts
I've used STP Injector Cleaner (it comes in a black plastic bottle - Halfords charge about a fiver) in numerous cars and have found that it can make a noticeable difference. In one car (I can't remember which one) it made the difference between it failing the MoT on emissions (before treatment) and passing. The MoT tester recommended it to me and I've used it regularly (every 5-6000 miles) in every car since. You put the whole bottle in the tank when you fill up and then just drive the car.

Using Shell Optimax regularly may help clean the injectors but this would take longer and different people have different opinions as to it's effectiveness. I use it in the Alfa and the Porsche and find it makes a noticeable difference to smoothness.

Ian

M

·
0 Posts
I've used the STP one and Redex. You will probably notice after a couple of miles that the car has more "urge" to accelarate and as Ian said, it will feel smoother. Actually needing to do mine now.....

Marlon

N

·
0 Posts
I use STP cleaner and octane booster, very happy with the result. cleaner only ones so far, but booster everytime... :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
have you considerd gettting injectors cleaned on a machine ? im gonna get mine done next month as just aproaching 60k my local guy will do them for £8 each injector if i take em out . for this he will ultrasonically clean them check flow rates and replace seals , this sounds better i think as there are small filters on them (i think) that can become a bit clogged and dont know if cleaner would remove this . i also heard of people getting flow checked and finding flow rates miles out !!

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only Injector cleaner I've used is Forte, it was recomended to me by a local garage. It works I give mine a dose every 6k miles when I service it.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
When i,m not using my right foot i use FORTE as well use loads at work to get astra diesels through MOT so i get it for nowt :D :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi there, I use stp or liqui moly injector cleaner each 2000 miles and octane booster every full tank. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone else recommended 'Forte' (Forty?) cleaner, but where do you get it? (I didn't see any in Halfrauds). Any idea on price?

You're probably right, Fletch, but I really don't want to interfere with the engine too much ATM, as I've only just had a re-con unit fitted.

M

·
0 Posts
Fletch, that's interesting. I have access to sonic baths at my work. The problem I see is that if you put tin foil in the bath, or leave your finger in too long it starts to sonically disintegrate the foil/bone.
Yes it would remove stuck on deposits, but it will possibly also knacker the plastic injector if you do it too often or too long. Be wary, we use sonic baths to dissolve stuff !!!

Marlon

·
Registered
7 Posts
whats the best/quickest way to get the injectors out and how long does this take? i have access to ultrasonic cleaners at my work and as long as its not left in there for more than 3-4 minutes it should be fine!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts