Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 156 and whilst driving along today at 40mph the engine cut out and the "injection system malfuntion " light stayed on a while.
The engine turns over but won't start now and the same warning light stays on for a while too. Any help please.
thanks
Dean

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
What engine, year, etc??

Did it make any unusual noises?? Unfortunately when the engine cuts out while driving it is often the cambelt .... but it would be telling you that by some odd and nasty noises :cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No nothing really at all, the engine now makes a whiring type noise when turning key but won't start. Im hoping its just a fuel problem and i have tried the reset under passenger seat, guess ill have to have it plugged it in to find out.
thanks

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Does the whirring sound make you think the engine is trying to start or simply spinning over more easily? If the cam belt goes you bend/break valves so you have no compression. The engine will spin more easily on the starter.

If you are careful, see if you can prise the cambelt cover open a bit at the top and get some one else to try and start it. If the belt doesn't move ... "we have a problem Houston" :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Just had alook at belt and although its intact it does not spin so guess im in trouble. Been advised best thing to do is put another head on it. Anyone got a spare one!!!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Sounds like it may have stripped a number of teeth, so it'slikely a tensioner has seized.

If you were doing 40mph, you'd be wise to replace you big-end bearing shells as well.

For heads, check ebay or one of the (increasing number) of Alfa breakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Im in Harlow, Essex. There was no noise really that i heard when engine cut out. When i try to start it the engine is just one continuess whine and not a stutter like normal, the cam belt don't move and when i took cover off the belt is tight and intact. Was gonna get it plugged into a dignostic but im being led to belive its something in the head so why bother!!

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
You find the crank is turning but not driving the cambelt anymore. My guess is a section of the teeth are missing and this is now sitting over the gear on the front of the crank. Been there, got the T-shirt ... now there's an idea! Bet we'll sell a lot!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Probably. You other thread you just posted means the starter is turning the flywheel and crank which is why it pushes you forward. If the cambelt isn't moving at the same time, then it's at least head work (bent valves). I've had the same .. it's not fun.

What was the mileage on the engine? Might be worth spending a bit more and getting the piston rings checked out, etc. definitely get the crank bearings checked and replaced. they take a hammering when the pistons hit the valves, and can get damaged. You don't want them failing soon after you get the car back on the road ...

A good garage should be able to run a compression check which will tell you if the valves are gone. There won't be any pressure on one or more cylinders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts