Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have really ****ed the Gods off or something cause my luck of recent has been nothing short of a joke!
Im currently stuck on the outskirts of Lille in France near Belgium on the way to Warsaw for a shite work thing and decided to take the car. The car decided to suffer what I think is driveshaft failure :cry: the car still drives etc but the clicking when turning left to right whilst accelerating is annoying to say the least and the vibrations make you think you are driving over a series of rocks!
I can only deduce from this that the driveshaft has gone - The ***** of it is that I had the passenger driveshaft replaced in September and the cv joints on the drivers one replaced in December and now its happened again.
So as i mentioned the symptoms are:

1) if you accelerate whilst turning then you get a loud clicking noise
2) vibrates so much in any gear that if I was a woman I wouldnt be conmplaining whatsoever :lol:

So boffins, this is a typical driveshaft failure isnt it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like the cv joint, because i have the same problem once i go over 50 the vibrations start and i know it is
the cv joint on the drivers side, also wheel bearing on same side, all to be replaced soon along with the front
suspension and drive shaft just to be sure. i do not fancy taken the hole thing apart again.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im inclined to agree with you there Pud, my vibrations dont start from 50 or 60 but from a very low speed can even be from approx 15mph. If you are very gentle then its only a slight vibration but if you floor it then you better be strapped in! Now I know its not the DMF as when the clutch was changed it was deemed in a good condition (changed last year) and there are no vibrations through the clutch pedal but the steering wheel and door cards shake like crazy, honestly feels like the car is going to fall apart and flooring it makes it feel like the suspension is coming apart. The clicking could well be the cv joint but im just gonna repair the whole thing and see whats what. I know its not an engine mount as I've looked both under and above the engine and there is no excessive movement and the gearbox doesnt vibrate or shake so am I right in assuming that the gearbox mount is ok aswell?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only one driveshaft was replaced, the passenger side... the drivers was never changed only the cv joints and even after that there was a slight vibration so it could be the splines of the shaft have gone. It is possible for parts to fail prematurely, I had the whole clutch changed this time last year and it failed exactly one year after changing it, and it was Valeo so not the cheap shite

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope never mapped, it could have failed due to a split boot cause I know I had quite a few of them changed over the course of the month or I'm thinking that maybe the bolts are tightened enough and are therefore wiggling the shaft around causing the vibrations.
Im looking at driveshafts online now but they state that there are 3 different types of driveshaft for the 2.4 156 - so I'm guessing the 136, 140/150 and 175 all share different shafts - anyone know the measurements for the 140 version? I can post up the VIN number if that helps - shes a 2001 model

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right well it seems I've gone to wrong mechanic.... 9am this morning I went to the workshop to wait until the car was ready as check -out from the hotel was at 10am. So I arrive and the mechanic in bad English made me understand that the driveshaft was on the way to their place. Great I thought I'll be away in no time. 3 hours go by and still no driveshaft. Whenever I asked if there was an update I was greeted with a grunt and a firm no.
So 2pm arrives, and still no news - at this point I had been in their "waiting room" for roughly 5 hours when this scruffy little ******* walks up to me and says they made a mistake with the driveshaft and ordered the wrong one, when i asked if they even knew the measurements he just said "we thought the 156 driveshaft fits all 156's!!" :mad: now I'm fairly ****ed off at this point as it is such an amatuer/idiotic mistake to do and to add salt to injury they tried to bill me for the car being at their place :lol: I "nicely" said no, took the keys and left. So now I've no choice but to drive to Warsaw - I've already made an appointment with an Alfa Romeo dealership that luckily speak English and its booked in for Wednesday. From where I am (middish Belgium) I've noticed that if the ground is fairly wet then there is no or little vibration (driveshaft being lubricated perhaps??) and I'm taking it fairly handy, max 100kph - anyone got some tips on anything else i can do in order to preserve the shaft for the journey?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done that :lol:

Pud you wouldnt be any chance know what the measurements are - just for future reference? I think its something like 25 teeth on the hub, bearing diameter 43mm, and for the right shaft its 521mm (140bhp 2.4)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just arrived in Warsaw just in time for the work thing, before I left however I luckily got the chance to get under the car and check out the shaft myself, now the passenger side shaft seems fairly tight no excessive play or noises. Now the drivers side is a whole different story - fair amount of play and i can move it inwards and outwards which produces a knocking noise. Now its fairly obvious from this point that its the drivers shaft that is causing the vibrations and clicking. The cv joints look in good condition so I think I'll get away without buying the cv joints.
I've made a video anyway of me moving the driveshaft and you can hear the knocking noise which is when I move it inwards and outwards.

24012012031.mp4 - YouTube

Everyone agreed this is the driveshaft that has gone as I'm 90% convinced, just need someone to confirm the other 10% :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah sorry about the quality, I was in a mad rush. Yep the intermediate (middle part) is moving and there is too much play for me to feel calm, moves side to side and inwards and outwards and thats the noise you can hear in the video. The boots arent split and the cv joints are still new looking as they were replaced in December 2011.
The shaft doesnt look like its marked or anything so I'm putting it down to just normal wear and tear

·
Registered
926 Posts
That happened to me, the gearbox mounting bolt worked its way loose and the side of the gear box dropped down onto the sub-frame, the driveshaft knuckle joint was grinding on the wishbone mounting bolts, hope this of any help.
All the best

Chris

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my case its completely driveshaft related hopfully by the end of the week it should all be sorted out :thumbs: checked the ounts and all seem ok

1 - 20 of 24 Posts