Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to buy a 155 1,7 TS -94. Is that a good buy or should I go for the bigger engines? I need a "economic but fun car"
Other tips would be nice to...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Rosso
Always go for as new and well kept a car you can afford. The post May '95 (production) "wide body" hold the road better. I'll opt. for a 1,8 8valve or 16valve if I was looking for economy and fun.
Allways listen for cam variator clatter (diesel sound) on any 16 valve model.
Good luck with the search.
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply Erik!
The car is well kept and very low milage (62000 km) and the price is low...
Do you know about the characterstics of the engine? Is it just a slow small engine, or a small economic nice one?

Thanks in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to technical data there is not big difference of fuel consuption betveen 1.7 and 2 litre models, if that is what you mean. 1.8 litre engine might use even less fuel. So called widebody models, year -96 or later, has belt operated timing. This belt needs to be changed every 60000 km or so, and that is costly to have done. Originally that belt was ment last long, but it does not. Of course this economy is also a matter of purcaseing prise.

My own car is two litre widebody add I havent driven other kinds of 155's. According to my experience I think 155 is a car where, because of exelent driveability, 150hp don't feel so mutch as it is, it could even have some more power :)

But after all. Alfa is allvays Alfa regardless of version. Even smaller engines give performance not usual for other cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again, Rosso
The 155 1,7TS was launched in ’92 like the rest of the range, but only on sale in Portugal until the model year ’94 was launched autumn ’93 at which point it was introduced on some other markets, as well. The engine has a very slightly smaller bore diameter, only 29 cc at 1749 cc less than the 1,8 (1773 cc) but without the inlet cam variator – according to what I have read and which is of a different type to the 16 valve engine’s. All the 4 cylinders 8 valve engines are of the “Alfa Nord” family (going back to the Giueletta 1290 cc of 1954) and were then very advanced (and still are) with an all alloy construction (block, head and oil sump), twin overhead cams and later twin double carburettors. It is regarded as a very reliable and strong engine – up to 300000 km before rebuilt is not uncommon. When strict anti pollution laws were introduced in the EU during the ‘80s the Twin Spark (plugs) and electronic fuel injection and ignition was introduced – the can variation was already fitted to the latest 2,0 carburettor models – a system that I never have heard should make difficulties contrary the present 16 valve (effectively a Fiat Modulo engine with a special Alfa cylinder head).
I haven’t driven neither a 155 1,8 TS or 1,7 TS (the lather never sold in DK) so I couldn’t tell if the diff. between 129 HP and 115 HP is noticeable. Apart from some minor in- and external trim differences they are otherwise alike.
Heikki is right, all Alfas includes “joyful driving”, only to some, this calls for more power than, in case of the 1,7 TS’ 115 HP to 1300 kg dry weight. My former Alfa, a 33 1,5 IE with 95 HP to 925 kg, was alright to me and I was very happy with it for the more than 6 years I owned it – it had about the same acceleration ability and a slightly lower top speed. It’s all a matter of priorities.
The one you are looking at has a good mileage and if the rest of the car looks and is in good condition and the asking price suits you, I say buy it.
Good luck
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
I think it is only a feeling in general you have to have. Is the price a good offer for the technical and optical features.
I have bought a 1,7 TS two years ago also 1994 with 54.000 km. Now it has nearly 100.000 km without any problems ! In every case it is an absolutly greatful car (like every 155er) and with 85 KW enough.
If you want to have an Alfa with more power you should look for a 2,0. But I am absolutly happy with my car and I would buy it once again.

Go for it !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts