Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying an inflatable kayak for taking on weekends away camping next to the sea and lakes. Am thinking of a 2 person one so it can carry fishing rods, camping gear etc.
Has anyone got one and if so, what are they like? What is there to look out for or avoid

I dont want a full rigid shell fibreglass thing (not putting a roof rack on my car for one thing), but mainly because I dont really have anywhere to store one! At least the inflatables just fit in a bag.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Me thinks you've sussed it out. No roof rack so its an inflatable. Try having a look at one that you can dismantle with a canvas skin. They're much more 'roadworthy' if you see what I mean, actually acting like a proper kayak and going where you point it to. The only drawback with inflatable ones is that you have to really inflate hard to get any kind of boat shape out of them and then again their prone to drift alot with any kind of winds. If not properly inflated you'll be sitting in a puddle all day... Other thing - Fishing in any inflatable craft is asking for trouble with fish hooks catching on the sides. You have to be extra careful.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply AB. Not too worried about the inflating part, am used to that because of an old inflatable dinghy I had.
As for the fish hooks, I was thinking the same thing but then I saw a couple of videos on you tube where one manufacturer of inflatable kayaks (coleman I think it was), actually hit one of their inflatables with a claw hammer and nothing happened.
Also, as the things are at a low pressure and compartmentalised (is that a word?!), even if a puncture should occur, and most likely will, I dont think it will be a huge issue.

Do you have any suggestions on makes, models etc I should be thinking about?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts