Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all after being on this site for over 2 years now there seems to be quite a few postings about induction kits. At first every one seemed very much in favour of them (k&n57i)etc. but recently some are now becomeing not very keen any more. I am just wondering how many of you have returned back to standard airboxes. i still have one fitted to my 1.8 8v & at the moment i am still happy with it!. :D
cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Phillip,
My theory is that if a car manufacturer has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds developing an induction system for a certain model/engine, how can a spurious system be better (assuming one uses genuine replacement parts)...a system that only cost a fraction of the cost to develop.

Mark. :D

p.s.Phillip, which area of Leeds do you live in?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've replaced my K&N 57i kit with the OE box and BMC panel filter. Using a cold air feed from the front airdam instead of the kinda restricted one which sits above the radiator (8 valve).

These kits have been proven to give more power, I just think in the case of the 155 (or the 8 valve anyway), the cone filter sits too far back in the engine bay and is surrounded by hot air. No amount of cold air routing is gonna give air as cool as that which is routed into a shielded airbox. It's just like the chip, the OE systems are a compromise between power, longevity, emissions etc.

Marlon

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mark i live in roundhay (north leeds) & for marlon i did think that the cone is fitted near the top. but i can say that i have only noticed any change when the engine is very hot (town driving) etc but when on open roads it seems fine. but i think it is good feed back on tis topic.
cheers

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mark, the reason why car developers don't use them is because they have to take alot of factors in mind when building the engine like fuel consumption and HP, also the expected lifetime of the engine plays it's part, I can push 400 BHP out of my 1.8 8v if I want but it would be death and buried by the end of the day.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone got an underbonnet picture of a 156 1.8 16v they could post please?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Da Londo,
Surely in that case, the manufacturer's induction system, is the optimum system for the engine, taking all factors into consideration. As most of us on this forum use our cars almost daily as regular transport, the original equipment system is best suited to our everyday needs.
If this wasn't the case, I would have bought a 1.8 litre 155 instead, and boosted up the BHP/Torque using non standard mods, to bring it up to the performance of a V6. (LOL)
:p :D
Mark. :D wink

FTO Phil, know Roundhay well!, used to go to The Thomas Danby College on Roundhay road, and have been to many concerts in the park!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the standard set up not more to do with noise emmissions than anything else. Modern noise limits are pretty draconian and induction roar is pretty loud. How to fix: fit an airbox with the thickest filter you can fit in and the put the longest inlet pipe you can get onto it! eek!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Colin,
I remember owning a XR3i a "few" years ago on which I fitted a K&N airfilter and a Janspeed exsaust sytem and manifold. Yes it was faster than a bog standard XR3i after the mods, but remember vividly driving it to Manchester airport and back (about 110 miles round trip), and ending up deaf as a post for 2 days. Since then I've always insisted that standard equipment is overall a better deal, and always followed the principle if you want 165bhp in a car, then buy a car with 165bhp as standard.
That's my take on this anyway!! wink

Mark :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best car I ever heard was my mate's Strada 130 Abarth. It came standard with twin 40s which had the inlets facing forward. When you removed the airbox lid the induction roar was incredible, but only if the car was coming toward you. when you were in the car the noise level was quite acceptable. Outside you could hear the thing coming a mile away. Couldn't hear it going though!
Wish they still made them like that!

Colin. : eek! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently parted with a Guilietta which had 2 twin choke dellortos. Oh yes, that snort when you booted the thing.

Marlon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts