Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone fitted one to their alfa.

i saw one down southend the other night and it looked awsome and sounded great.

just wondering what is the best ones to buy and if any of you have any pictures. or if youve had any problems.

F

·
0 Posts
I had a K&N 57i induction kit for my '04 147 1.6ts and after fitting it once it seemed a lot of bother and removing bits.

So I had a look and then decided that using the reducer provided straight into the filter and then bolting straight onto the MAF was a lot simpler and did not require removing anything except the stock flexi pipe from the stock airbox to the MAF.

I made up a simple Z bracket that bolted onto the battery clamp bolt and the filter then rests on it with a bit of rubber and a black cable tie.

I have done more than 40k miles with it on and the induction roar is beautifull while the engine does reve more freely.

My only concern though is a rumour I heard that K&N type filters that are oiled can cause MAF problems due to oil contamination of the MAF but I have never experienced this. I am going to do the same change to my 156 1.6ts now as well.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
imo they are not worth the money.
They give you no noticable gains in power. all they do is give you that induction roar.
If that i what you want, just buy a £10 universall filter from gaybay and remove the old air filter housing and route it there. Job done.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I have a jetex induction kit on my 155 16v. makes an awesome sound. Watch out for your air mass flow sensor as quite often they fail because they don't like being moved around.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Would you trust a £10 filter to stop all the microscopic crap being sucked in and slowly ruining your engine?
Na, not me, reckon I'll stick to a fully trialled and tested example!
Ok then buy the 20 quid version from halfrauds if it worrys you that much.:)
But its your money your wasting. personaly i wouldnt bother. they are pointless.:p
Spend your money on beer and girls you will find it far more satisfying.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Ok then buy the 20 quid version from halfrauds if it worrys you that much.:)
But its your money your wasting. personaly i wouldnt bother. they are pointless.:p
Spend your money on beer and girls you will find it far more satisfying.

yes they do, my low end pick up is noticably better and top end past 5.5k is also noticably better. also they better after a map, not that great on their own, its more a response item, until its mapped, then they make a difference:thumbs:

induction kits always work best after a re-map, combined with an exhaust to, there will be noticable gains.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a pipercross viper on mine plus a decat and soon to have a cybox cat back exhaust even with the standard cat back exhaust it has got more power through the rev range still makes me smile everytime I fire it up:)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
yes they do, my low end pick up is noticably better and top end past 5.5k is also noticably better. also they better after a map, not that great on their own, its more a response item, until its mapped, then they make a difference:thumbs:

induction kits always work best after a re-map, combined with an exhaust to, there will be noticable gains.
a remap will certainly help things.

there has been enough dyno testing to prove that a filter alone will not make any noticable gain, even if it is one of the best, its unlikely that anyone will notice the extra 1 or 2 bhp.

Removing some convaluted corrigated standard intake pipe and replacing it with something decent (like a gsr kit) and a free flowing airfilter will benifit you more than just an airfilter alone, and moreso with a remap.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
a remap will certainly help things.

there has been enough dyno testing to prove that a filter alone will not make any noticable gain, even if it is one of the best, its unlikely that anyone will notice the extra 1 or 2 bhp.

Removing some convaluted corrigated standard intake pipe and replacing it with something decent (like a gsr kit) and a free flowing airfilter will benifit you more than just an airfilter alone, and moreso with a remap.
that is what i was on about mate, full induction kit not just the filter:thumbs:

the main restriction on the standard pipe is the mesh in the maf casing, plonking a filter on the end of the maf will do nothing, apart from making it sluggish at low revs, and the noise.

but yeah i thought we were on about full kits here?

·
Registered
547 Posts
that is what i was on about mate, full induction kit not just the filter:thumbs:

the main restriction on the standard pipe is the mesh in the maf casing, plonking a filter on the end of the maf will do nothing, apart from making it sluggish at low revs, and the noise.

but yeah i thought we were on about full kits here?
How do you remove the mesh from the Maf?( Apart from butchering the bloody thing!!!!!) As it's an integral part of the engine induction system( MAF anyway???) The mesh should be there!!!!!! and shouldn't interfere with the airflow as it's quite a large mesh anyway were not not talking microns here!!!! All I've done is fit a Pipercross Induction kit to mine and it has improved low to medium range revs!!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
210 Posts
just got a k&n induction kit fitted to my gta this mornin ,cant feel any difference in power but does make a lovely sound

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
How do you remove the mesh from the Maf?( Apart from butchering the bloody thing!!!!!) As it's an integral part of the engine induction system( MAF anyway???) The mesh should be there!!!!!! and shouldn't interfere with the airflow as it's quite a large mesh anyway were not not talking microns here!!!! All I've done is fit a Pipercross Induction kit to mine and it has improved low to medium range revs!!!!!

Andy
its only stuck in, comes out easily enough, nothing a pair of pliers wont sort,iv got about 3 casings here, did on my stilo and it was ok so will do it on this. take k&n's typhoon for instance. anything that gets in the way is restrictive.

and do you have a fetish for exclamation marks?

·
Registered
512 Posts
has anyone fitted one to their alfa.

i saw one down southend the other night and it looked awsome and sounded great.

just wondering what is the best ones to buy and if any of you have any pictures. or if youve had any problems.
The kits that go straight onto the flexi-pipe will suck hot air from the engine and radiator, meaning less power. So you may end up trading power for a nicer noise..

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Yes I do i may need to see a psycriatrist LoL:cheese:
thats ok then:cheese:

iv done all this before you see, and know what works and what doesnt, bolting a filter to the end of the maf, which is just above the hot water pipe and right next to the engine, will suck up all that lovely air and probably loose bhp:thumbs:

they do make a difference, i know they do, but there are some defeatest people about,that think if one doesnt work, then none will:lol:

just so people know, im not getting at you mate, or anyone for that matter:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts