Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still avin problems finding an induction kit for my 146. I have a K&N panel filter on it already but (as sad is this may seem) im lookin for somethin to give my engine more of a roar. My new exhaust system sounds awesome but I want the same sound comin form up front. I can find find them for the 147's and 155's but but not a 1.6 146.

HELP.......please :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Assuming you haven't already done so, take the resonator off and fit the Brazilian Pipe in it's place (straight through pipe). That will give you a louder induction sound ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
applogies for my ignorance (im still learning bout engines) but whats the resonator, were is it and whats the brazilian pipe?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you remove the front passenger side(N/S) wheel arch liner you will see a box infront of the air box,thats the resonator,remove it and fit a straight intake pipe instead.:)
We stock K+N ,but if you already have the panel,thats ok.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks a lot :) Would a cone style air filter be better than a panel filter?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Would a cone style air filter be better than a panel filter?
Not unless it's enclosed (i.e. induction kit) otherwise it will just be sucking in hot air from the engine bay. The hotter the air the lower the performance...you need cool air going into the engine.

I've just got a K&N filter panel in mine in conjunction with the Brazillian pipe mod. If I'm honest I don't really notice any difference in performance (maybe it's 1 bhp if that?) but you do get a more noticeable induction sound. The panel filter / pipe mod option is cheaper than an induction kit and IMO it is just as good at less expense :) Don't listen to the ridiculous performance gains the induction kit manufacturers claim...it's all marketing BS!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant. Cant seem to find this pipe anywere though :( Any suggestions of were to find one or have one made?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Jon,

Contact anyone breaking a 145/146 for the pipe, you cannot get it from Alfa anymore. Fyi, its known as the "brazillian pipe"

TBH, Id recommend a cone filter, this sounds a lot better than a KN panel with the straight through intake (brazillian pipe). I had the above mentioned mods on my last car, tbh the induction noise was probably about 30% louder than standard. IMO the cone filter I have on my car now sounds amazing, and I think would be more up your street if you like induction roar.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
A Kn cone mate. Once u get it I tecomend unplugging ur variable intake manifold, that increases the roar too. Does ur car have a plastic rocker cover? Only placcy tops have this iirc

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No mines an alloy top dude. . Which cone exactly? dont k&n do looooads of different types?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I really dunno which one it is mate.

Got it with the car.

As yours is an ally top... IIRC you dont have a variable intake manifold, so ignore my comments above re the mod.

Will try and get a pic of my induction set up for you fella

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Which cone exactly? dont k&n do looooads of different types?
If you go for a cone filter you will need to box it in properly and put a proper cold air feed to it otherwise your engine will be drawing in warm air from under the bonnet resulting in you not getting the best power. It might not be much of a loss but it will be a loss nevertheless so you just need to consider if a greater induction noise is worth the sacrifice of a slight loss in power. If you box it in and provide a cold air feed then you will avoid that issue.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you put the cone filter in the same area as the standard airbox then it shouldn't be rocket science to fabricate something. Just make sure top of the "box" sides come up to the level of the inside of the bonnet (or actually put a top on the box). Then you can use the same external cold air feed route as the standard airbox uses :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts