Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today without warning the indicators started to "go slow" that is work at half speed on both sides and then nothing. I've already checked to see if the heater matrix is leaking and that's not the culprit, the ecu's and relays have been bagged as best they can in such a confined space. Being a later 1st version 166 I only have a large blue relay and a smaller green one lurking underneath the central console. As I was at work when this happened in Southampton I rang the Alfa Shed in Fareham who advised that a relay switch is in the steering column and they go regularly. So I will be checking this out as I wanted to remove the plastic cover behind the steering wheel (not playing with the airbag before anyone asks) to see if this is true and to see if the left indicator (when working) can cancel.

Can I find the right sized allen key for 2 of the bolts that hold it all together, one for the morning.

My question is am I on a wild goose chase by doing this and should I be looking elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Nothing but switches on the steering column - no active modules. By far the most likely culprit is the green 'relay' (M83) in the splash-zone under the matrix. If not that, possibly the power or earth to that system.

These things can 'go bad' so even if it's dry that's no guarantee it hasn't failed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing but switches on the steering column - no active modules. By far the most likely culprit is the green 'relay' (M83) in the splash-zone under the matrix. If not that, possibly the power or earth to that system.

These things can 'go bad' so even if it's dry that's no guarantee it hasn't failed.
Thanks, more grovelling under the dash it is then

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, swapped out with a working relay from the red one but no improvement, no burnt out relay or sockets. Would the indicator stalk not making correct contact be an issue?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorted, green relay under central console was fine but the middle of 3 relays to the right of the steering wheel was swapped out and yes all is well and good.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One follow up thing, since owning the car when I put it into reverse an annoying siren/buzzer sounds, I can find no mention of it in the manual but having replaced the relay it doesn't do that any more, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sorted, green relay under central console was fine but the middle of 3 relays to the right of the steering wheel was swapped out and yes all is well and good.
Drat...I almost mentioned that one as a possible but dismissed it as it's for the hazards...but obviously closely tied in with indicators. Sorry :(

Reversing bleep....if yours is a Sporto, it's a small Piezo sounder on the PCB right by the gear selector but I didn't know it was connected with the indicators. If a manual, the Super I stripped didn't do that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drat...I almost mentioned that one as a possible but dismissed it as it's for the hazards...but obviously closely tied in with indicators. Sorry :(

Reversing bleep....if yours is a Sporto, it's a small Piezo sounder on the PCB right by the gear selector but I didn't know it was connected with the indicators. If a manual, the Super I stripped didn't do that.
I wonder if that could be the culprit for my indicators no longer flashing when the car is locked/unlocked on the remote?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I can have a look at my 'folder' on Monday - I've got every system circuit printed out from when I was stripping down the 166 donor loom for my project.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Looks as if the alarm drives the indicators directly.....and in case there was ever any doubt, I'm an idiot...the M83 unit is just to monitor/drive the LED rear indicator units and drive the indicator warning lights on the dash, the main indicator 'flasher' module is indeed the R2 unit you swapped out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
an addendum to the tale, lhs indicators all work but for no reason decided work at double speed in the vein of a bulb having gone. I'll check all the bulbs but could it be that, an earth issue or something else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts