Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the cooliong fan on my 92 1.8 TS. You can hear the relay in the car clicking several times before the fan will actually come on, some-times it will take as long as 20-30 sec with the relay clicking consatantly. Once the fan has started it will often only stay on for 30sec to a minute before it goes off.
Is this the symptoms of an over sensative thermastat? I have also noticed my fuel consumption has droped significantly (250, as opposed to 300 on a tank), could it have that much effect?

Thanks for any help.

Stef.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the relay is clicking, try out a replacement but it could be the temperature sensor on the back of the radiator. I'd clean up the contacts on that too.

If either are knacked, then they're both small, wallet-friendly parts, though sometimes the temperature sensor gets so seized in that when you try to unscrew it, it wrenches the radiator casing (new rad' time).

The chronic fuel consuption is probably unrelated as the relay and temp. sensor just relate to engine cooling. I reckon that your thermostat is coincidentally sticking, so your car is taking longer to warm up (and is running richer all the while). It should warm up (to "Normal" on the temp gauge within about 7 minutes).

A new thermostat is £15 or so, and dead simple to change.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cooling fan would normally only stay on for a short period of time (30secs to 1 minute). When the needle on the gauge gets to the middle (90ºC I think), the fan kicks in. Maybe the relay is faulty. If you can swap it for another and see if the "clicking" still occurs, then the chances are it isn't the relay at fault (did that make sense ???).
Sorry can't be more precise

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spin the fan with your hand to make sure its not seizing up also check the connectors for poor contact.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the connectors to the resistor unit on the back of the radiator(probably only there if you have a 2 speed fan) as mine had a badly burnt connection. You can't miss it as it has heavy wiring going to the fan motor.

Mike :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just replaced the sensor on the back of the radiator - severely burnt out (£9.30). Parts dept should give you replacement spade connectors if factory connectors have melted away! Relay clicks, fan still doesn't appear to work. Any suggestions from anyone on this?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get two wires and connect the fan direct to the battery if it still doesnt go replace the fan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a double speed fan and the first(slower) speed did not engage once before. It was only when the engine gets too hot, the second(faster) speed kicks in. Traced the problem to a burnt track on the relay box, the one above the accelerator pedal. Looking at the wiring diagram for a 1996 1.8 TS 16V engine, the first speed does not go to a fuse at all. The second speed does.

I have to re-wire the relay box to the fuse first and then to the fan relay. Now both speeds are protected.

You did not mention if your car has 2 speed fans but I hope this would help to isolate the problem.

kenneth

·
Registered
189 Posts
scared me sh!tless, 1st time the fan went into 'fast', thought a plane was landing on the traffic queue wink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts