Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 156 1.8 TS and i am thinking of increasing the performance? i have looked at autodelta with turbos/superchargers, possible chipping or even looking at making the engine breathe more easily (new air filters, etc)?! which of these is best? or if anyone has anyother ideas?? cheers.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you want a significant power increase then I'd sell it and buy a more powerful car - it will be cheaper in the long run.

A more powerful engine would mean bigger brakes, wheels, new suspension etc etc. You will never get any money back on fitting performance parts.

Sorry to be negative :p

You can obviously go for air filter, exhaust, chipped which would give some increase without costing too much

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
First thing i'd say is get a lightened flywheel on it, it completely removes the lag before 3000rpm, makes it quicker off the line and takes half a second off the 0-60.

A remap from red dot or autodelta after having a decent exhaust fitted would improve it even more.

It all depends on how much you love your car as it is. If you have a perfectly sound car then there is no point buying another and having the posibility of problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had several cars that i 'modded' and to be honest the best changes you could make would be to improve the handling. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line - it's how quick you are in the twiddly bits that counts :)

Lower the centre of gravity and fit an adjustable REAR anti-roll bar set to medium, any harder and you'll induce lift off oversteer which is great in the summer but not so good in the winter :)

It'll transform the car and you will not be messy with the maps/induction or require better brakes etc Did this to my car before last and it was a hoot! - cheapish to, Eibach springs will set you back around 90 and bar about 160 ish plus fitting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input its something to think about. i love my alfa too much to sell it, and it is still a baby at 48k. i will keep you posted with other ideas.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I completely agree with FIAarri, with a bit of tweaking the TS will handle better than any V6 due to its lightweight front end.

I drove my mates Audi A8 which is a 4.2 V8 Quattro and it handles like a boat, body roll is rediculous and i dont know how your meant to use any of that power unless your on a motorway.

He drove mine and wants to buy it, says its like a touring car!

As your cars only done 48k i'd wait until the bushes need replacing for example and then get it uprated.

PS - i like your supercharger thinking! :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey guys how much would a good quality lightened flywheel cost i've got a 2.0 147 ts and the pre 3000rpm drag is a real pain is it really that good?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Suspension and brakes:) You will love it if you got them:D
+1 to that ... although if you've got the alfa sports suspension then I found that to be pretty good on my TS ...

D

·
0 Posts
+1 to that ... although if you've got the alfa sports suspension then I found that to be pretty good on my TS ...
I just did it with my car and my god some fun it is now, was fun before now better again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the general theme is uprated suspension, better air filter and exhaust. the next question is where and what to buy, so many products? and mainly are they alfa friendly!!

D

·
0 Posts
Supersprint exhaust, BMC CDA airfilter. Suspension KW's from my own experience have them on my car. Try Demontweeks for everything.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Take the lid off your air box and stick a £15 quid cone filter on the end wont go any faster but oh my god does it sound nice mine uses twice as much fuel now cos i cant stop reving it up:cheese:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I dont care it sounds twice as fast:lol: and its only a temporary measure until i can find a new air box mine had the usual rusted bolts and ended up breaking the lid so just stuck that on for the time being

·
Registered
235 Posts
Buying an Alfa is a waste of time money and effort but we all do it its just one of those little things that keeps us busy at the weekends untill the right parts come along, and no i wouldnt recomend doing that if your looking for more power its just that £15 was the only option i had otherwise i would have had to driven it around with no filter at all

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I only buy from Alfisti now from experience - brilliant service!

Autodelta do a Lightweight flywheel for £329 and it fits the 1.8

1 - 20 of 22 Posts