Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my 2002 mod GTV 2.0TS have been steadily drinking around 1l pr. 1000 km.
Lately it's been drinking like a football fan on saturdays... almost doubling the ratio.

Where should I start my quest for the leaked oil?
Such amounts of oil should be visible somewhere, or?

There's been no white smoke from the exhaust, but last trip I took I noticed some white smoke.
Parked it right away in the garage...

Any tips where to begin?

Best regards Vegard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
If you can't see any obvious leak under the car when you park it, check if the PCV valve is blocked.
If it is, you will have pressure in the crank case and oil will pass through the piston rings and be burned.

Or if the intake valve rubber sealing is leaking oil into the cumbustion chamber will also consume oil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the pcv valve. Seems to work fine. There is no oil in the coolant. But found out when the white smoke appears. After going downhill the car leaves a cloud of white smoke after hitting the accelerator. Is the valve gasket a job you can do in the garage? I have a mechanic friend that's helping me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Checked the pcv valve. Seems to work fine. There is no oil in the coolant. But found out when the white smoke appears. After going downhill the car leaves a cloud of white smoke after hitting the accelerator. Is the valve gasket a job you can do in the garage? I have a mechanic friend that's helping me.
i believe he was talking about the valve stem seals would be cylinder head off and replace the seals which will probably involve stripping the head of camshafts and removing the valves to replace the seals. havent done this in 25 years so memory is a bit vague and it was on a ford pinto engine

·
Registered
247 Posts
what grade of oil are you using?
In my 147 2.0TS, when I used Comma 10w40 semi-synth, it's oil consumption was quite high. Switching to a good brand of 10w60 brought the consumption down a bit but you may still need to prepare for some engine work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried to change from Castrol 10w40 to 10w60, but I believe that some engine work is necessary. Trying to decide if I'm going to try fixing this in the garage at home with a mechanical mate of mine, or if I need to admit defeat and let the pros do their work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts