Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I bought a used Mito 155CV a couple of months ago.
The car has about 25.000km. It has very little mileage , as it's previews owner rarely used it.
I completed my first small road trip(about 250km) with no issue at all while on road.
On my next run, I've noticed highly increased fuel consumption(DNA mode: Normal).:confused:

Issue appears at 2~4k revs while speeding up and especialy on 2nd and 3rd gear.

Fact 1:
While gently revving up from 2nd gear to go on 3rd, current fuel consumption indicator sometimes shows up to 30l/100km.
Status before 1:
I never noticed any value higher than 20l/100km

Fact 2:
While hardly revving up on 2nd or 3rd gear or 3rd to 4th, it shows 50l/100km(I guess the indicator is not designed to show more than 50l/100km)(DNA mode: Normal or Dynamic)!:wow:
Status before 2:
I never noticed any value higher than 38l/100km

Fact 3:
While using Cruise Control on 6th gear on flat road and 100kmph it shows about 7.5l/100km!
Status before 3:
It used to be 5 to 6.5l/100km.

Fact 4:
When I leave the throttle pedal at all, it goes from maybe 30l/100km to 2.0l/100km on flat road.
Status before 4:
Consumption indication used to be more linear while decreasing, e.g. going slowly from 20l/100km to 5l/100km when leaving the throttle.

There are not fault indicators or something on the dashboard or never did.
I have tried both 95RON and 100RON fuel.
I also visited my local official Alfa Romeo dealer, they run every consumption test they could while reading data from the OBD scanner but they found no issues at all and they responded to me this is NORMAL.

Do you have any suggestions guys?
What is your current consumption levels on souch conditions?
Could it be that the car was running lean due to rare usage since then and maybe now come back to normal?

Thank you!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just to check is the reading in litres/km or km/litre? Most I believe read in distance travelled/fuel used as in mpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you compared your actual fuel consumption against that claimed by the car? ie the miles between fill ups?

It maybe that it needs a service and a good italian tune. A lot of owners including myself swear by giving the car a good thrash once warmed up once a week. It certainly helped mine maintain similar fuel economy between services and if it hadnt had one the fuel economy would drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks for you fast reply!

@Spark: It's a EU version Mito and the reading is in litres/100km

@r d g: According to the dealer it doesn't need a service at the moment, at least not before 30.000km.
If I keep pushing it in such conditions, the fuel economy definately decreases.

What readings do you get in such situations on your car?

·
Registered
389 Posts
How old is it as if its a 155 then it must be a few years as that hp output hasnt been available in most markets for 4 years AFAIK.

As ive got the non turbo 95bhp and have the car set to mpg a direct comparison isnt possible. Also I never use the current consumption as its doesnt really tell me anything useful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is about 5.7l/100km.. it's excellent for average mileage. I guess it's out of town though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry didn't realise it was done that way round:)
I've had my Mito for about a month and is averaging 38mpg or 6.1/100km

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
60% country back roads (where I don't hang about), the rest town and motorway. I've said this before though, a lot of it down to how you drive. When i bought the car it was showing 36mpg on trip B which had never been reset. I reset it soon after buying the car and its now showing 41.3 i think the last time I looked. Brim to brim confirms the trip meter is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our MiTo 155 is mid 30's mpg I believe. My wife drives it (her car) so I imagine it is driven fairly quickly B Roads and always in D. I took it on a longer drive yesterday and it showed 40mpg that included traffic jams both ends and cruising on duel carriageway in between, so fairly mixed driving. I mostly keep it in N unless overtaking or busy junctions. Steering is much more relaxed that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine average is about 25mpg. I live in town, so I'm always on busy roads..
My concern is about current consumption when reving up and not the average though.

I also visited another Italian "expert" yesterday, and suggested to replace the spark plugs with new ones "just in case".

Well, I really love this car and maybe I'm a little over-concerned :inlove:

·
Registered
389 Posts
If its an 09 version it should have been serviced at least twice by now possibly three times. In fact at low mileage the oil should have been changed every year.

The cambelt is due a change as well so it really needs a service if this work hasnt been done.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad to be honest. I drive quite erratically to be fair and I'm averaging just over 30mpg at the moment (its been worse at like 28mpg previously!) If I was to drive more economically I could probably get it in the higher 30's/40.

Plus my car has been recently remapped (which I recommend doing) it means it picks up much quicker in the lower rev range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@r_d_g: There are no pending services to be done, at least not before 30.000km. Plus, I've changed oil about 2500km ago.

@mattkidd: What hp you get after the remap?I guess about 185hp or so..

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check the manual it says 2 years or 30k for the first service so as Ive said if its an 09 it should have at least 2 if not 3 services by now. The cambelt is 4 or 5 years interval so that is likely due now or soon.

If your car really hasnt had a service other than an oil change since new then I dread to think what the air filter looks like by now as after a year they are pretty much done on mine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
@r_d_g: There are no pending services to be done, at least not before 30.000km. Plus, I've changed oil about 2500km ago.

@mattkidd: What hp you get after the remap?I guess about 185hp or so..
Not quite looking at an output of 177bhp and 226ft-lt; mostly improvements on the lower end. We could have achieved more but the cat/exhaust is the biggest bottleneck, plus the turbo being 5 yrs old could start cracking and you've also got the M32 Gearbox to worry about. I think if I was to go any further now I'll wait for a hybrid turbo/exhaust combo with an LSD. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I kind of pushed it hard last night on my way home @ (D)ynamic using 100RON fuel.
Current consumption indicator somehow looks better now while on (N)ormal. Almost like it was before.

I don't know what's going on.. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I replaced the spark plugs couple of days ago.
It's seems that consumption restored back to it's old values.
The old ones were definitely worn out.

Consider this closed.
Thanks guys for you help anyway!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts