Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a 2006 JTD 16V 147, it has done 250 000km now.

Its completely stock, but I think its a bit special, due to the power, and would like to mod at least something.
I was thinking about the wastegate noise, but my engine/turbo does not have something like that.

Now while checking a few thins with the bonnet up and pumping the gas a bit, I noticed a quite enjoy the turbo whistle/whine.
Is it possible to increase this noise, lets say, in volume without damaging anything?

Thanks for any kind of help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you like the engine sound with the bonnet up then i think you'd be very happy with a high flow cold air intake, which should help performance and response a bit and should make a noticeable increase in induction and turbo noise. Standard airboxes are like a silencer, i haven't actually done this on a 147, but have done it to other turbo cars with these results.

If you mod the exhaust too and get a remap, list goes on towards making it go like a rocket, but 250k is a fair bit on the clock, desrestricting the intake is an easy and cheap first step.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip!

Yes, with 250K kilometers on the clock I'm not so keen on tuning and remapping the car, and ofcourse it would be fun, there is no real need as the car still has plenty of power.

I always thought an open air intake on a turbo engine is quite a risk, since there could be tiny particles of "stuf"(?) going through the filter and damaging the turbo?
Am I wrong to think this?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I always thought an open air intake on a turbo engine is quite a risk, since there could be tiny particles of "stuf"(?) going through the filter and damaging the turbo?
Am I wrong to think this?
No man :jester: they talk about COLD AIR, not open air. There is ALWAYS and air filter element in the way - unless your car is built for drag strip runs only (clean air runs).

Google cold air intake - you'll see all have cone filters.

The shorter and more straight you can get the pipe - the more induction noise you'll get

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a straight through 2.5" exhaust from turbo back and you don't hear the turbo on mine, so it is not that simple.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That bmc is ok, a cone shaped filter with a larger opening would be better and louder, but either way a bit of work is involved:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/2852561-post30.html

Considering the installation issues, derestricting the oem airbox is probably easier, possibly no cost if you have a few hand tools and easily reversible if you want for sale time or if you want a quiet car again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a guide for derestricting the airbox?
And is there a downside to doing it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've done the same mods on two cars that should be otherwise identical and they sounded completely different. Just modifying the airbox and fitting a K&N panel filter made one sound like it had a dump valve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts