Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im changing my wishbones and using the guide on here (great help:thumbs:), i have remove all bolt but have come stuck at this point, i only have the balljoint to come off to remove the wishbone now

Remove the outer ball joint securing bolt – you’ll need two tools here: A spanner / socket to undo the nut and another spanner / socket to hold the bolt. I think the nut is a locking one. Once the locking nut is off, take the bolt out (MC Hammer may be required here).

the problem im having is i have undone the nut on the outer ball joint securing bolt, but i cant get the long bolt out, do i just hammer it untill it comes out or to i have to unscrew it the socket keeps slipping of it???
ALSO

Use the balljoint splitter and a hammer to free the ball joint pin from within its housing (at the bottom of the steering/brake/hub assembly).
Using the long bar, lever the ball joint / wishbone away from the steering/brake/hub assembly.

how is the ball joint held up?? looks like a little nut but again cant get a spanner round it or do i just put alot of pressure on the ball joint splitter??
cheers Jon

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
You will probably have to unscrew the bolt. The hole isn't threaded but the bolt will be tight, and unscrewing is less likely to damage the thread.

The ball joint is held in by this bolt. Once it is removed it should come out easily enough with a ball joint sperator.

On the long bolt, I think the head and the nut are slightly different sizes, which may be why your socket is slipping.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbs: thanks for the quick reply its just starting to turn dark so need it out quick time lol! i've been hammering the sh*t of it and nothing, i will try what you suggested now, fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
weird i can only seem to turn the bolt as if to tighten it (even though no nut) when i try to untighten it it just slips, is there a special size i need as im using a 15mm and the 14mm doesnt fit?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Not done this yet, but I would guess if you jacked up the wishbone under the balljoint a little it would give the bolt more space to come out,, as it probably dropped a little when unbolted, pressing onto the bolt? i.e. it would align the bolt with the notch in the ball joint taper?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you need to hammer it, then some more, then get mad and when you go mentle on it......it comes out! lol! easier second time round as you know what your looking for.

just replaced drop link now to get the wishbone in well.......after i got the kids to bed! :rolleyes:

and i will read them a nice bed time story.................."how to change the wishbones" page 2 getting the wishbones in lol! :cheese:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Complete sympathies

I had the same problem!! However had the nut sieze onto the bolt aswell, took nearly 10 hours to release the wish bone from the hub!

Hail to a fellow driveway mechanic, how many times do we reach utter dispair :lol:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hail to a fellow driveway mechanic, how many times do we reach utter dispair

:cheese: its a personal battle between you and your car, abit like when you have a argument with the mrs............who will give in first! :lol:

so the plan is to try with the ball joint pin first, so got the balljoint pin in (too easy) so wondering if its right??? there is about 2mm of silver showing from the pins, does that sound about right??

the guide says

So, ball joint in, high fives all round. Ensure that you can see the (shiny!) top of the ball joint poking out through the top of its housing

starkers you online?? is 2mm of shiny sound about right??

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My personal recommendation is save yourself a big big headache and remove the strut, then tie the hub totally out of the way while you do the inner 4 bolts.

Those are the real bitches from hell.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If the long bolt won't come out even when turning and tapping it.. tap the ball joint splitter in just a little way to take the pressure/weight of the upright off the long bolt..

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah nightmare trying to aline it, i think i will give your recommendation a go, althought the bolts have seen better days..... wish me luck

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Once the 4 inboard bolts are in the ball joint will pop relatively easily into its place in the hub :)
I always had trouble doing it that way, as the wishbone will sit high up in relation to the hub.

I usually put the ball joint in first, then use a clamp to hold the flanges against the subframe whilst I put the bolts in.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i ran out of time and light last night, but it sort of fell in place apart from 1 bolt, i alined the ball joint pin first but its wasnt in fully. then screwed down the front bolts on the wishbone. the small front bolt first to bring the long back bolt in line, nice and easy.

i then tried to screw in the back of the wishbone not so easy. so i screwed in the small one first and it didnt pull down / aline the longer bolt??? so played around with it for ten mins jacking the hub up and down got very close......then bang the balljoint pin pops in perfect, bolt in and tighten. not what i was trying to do but hay im happy balljoint in!

so back to trying to aline this long back bolt on the wishbone but wasnt happening and i had to call it a day. the back long bolt just did'nt reach.

so i got one bolt to put back in (the back long wishbone bolt) im sure i will have fun alining this one tonight lol!

its one of those jobs you are alot better second time round although some of the bolts are a nightmare to get out, i even had to cut one off: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think you just finds a knack to it second time around... I pulled the hub right up high out of the way with a piece of rope and felt that worked nicely to concentrate on the inner ones.

You have to fiddle around with a g clamp to push the thing flat onto the thing... you know...

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Hail to a fellow driveway mechanic, how many times do we reach utter dispair

:cheese: its a personal battle between you and your car, abit like when you have a argument with the mrs............who will give in first! :lol:

so the plan is to try with the ball joint pin first, so got the balljoint pin in (too easy) so wondering if its right??? there is about 2mm of silver showing from the pins, does that sound about right??

the guide says

So, ball joint in, high fives all round. Ensure that you can see the (shiny!) top of the ball joint poking out through the top of its housing

starkers you online?? is 2mm of shiny sound about right??
Hi Jon,

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

I only did the job about 3-4 months ago and have already forgotten how to do half of it (I wrote the guide in case I ever had to do it again!)
So if i remember correctly, there is not a thread at the top of the ball joint for a nut to screw on to, it's just machined - therefore between about 2 and 5mm sounds about right.

Just written all the above and what I should have said is, check the ball joint on the other wheel!

Anyway, I see you have done the job now :thumbs: Fun isn't it :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Jon,

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

I only did the job about 3-4 months ago and have already forgotten how to do half of it (I wrote the guide in case I ever had to do it again!)
So if i remember correctly, there is not a thread at the top of the ball joint for a nut to screw on to, it's just machined - therefore between about 2 and 5mm sounds about right.

Just written all the above and what I should have said is, check the ball joint on the other wheel!

Anyway, I see you have done the job now Fun isn't it

great fun lol! :cheese: cant wait for next time :lol: well at least its another tick of the list

can you add this to your "how to guide" to remind me next time...............PAY A UNSUSPECTING GARAGE A COUPLE OF HOURS LABOUR :cheese:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you have the ball joint attached, using the the short bolt for the front mount attach the wisbone to the subframe hand tight, get a large flat blade screw driver offer the wisbone upto the rear mount position on the subframe, now place the screwdiver under the antiroll bar bush housing and push the wisbone untill it hits the screwdriver, now whist pusing the wisbone lever the wishbone mount down under the ARB bush mount the quickly fit the short rear bolt a little more than handtight (so that you can remove the screwdriver without the bush moving back up against the ARB bush), now lie under the car and you should now be able to alight the long bolt into the rear mount and the front one is easy.

See this post from mitch166 last image http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/168718-my-new-project-10.html#post3556070

1 - 20 of 25 Posts