Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work just, I turned into a dark lane, flicked the ligting stalk to put my main beam on and ALL the lights went out - and I mean ALL!! No sidelights, dipped beam, main beam unless I hold the main beam flash on, no dash lights, no number plate lights - nothing. (you probably get my drift by now...) The only lights that do work are the indicators, hazards and brake lights.

Now by my (and the manuals) reckoning, about 4 fuses would have needed to blow at the same time for that to happen, so has anyone got any other ideas as to what might be wrong??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why would the dash and number plate lights go too?

W

·
0 Posts
Only thing that made me thinki of that was the ring to turn the lights on powers everything up.....if there was something amiss and you put the full beam on...bang. But up and down might still work.......just a thought :rolleyes:

Other than that a wiring problem...main feed for the stalk?

Just guessing, sorry.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, maybe.... I just had a look around - none of the lighting fuses are gone, and the sidelights still work when you switch the ign to park. All other accessories still work - windows, rear window, stereo etc. I found some lights that do work - the clock (but it doesn't dim when you operate the light switch), the glove box and the interior lights.

The more I think about it, the more I think you could be right Wrinx... it could well be something in the rather expensive stalk....

Nooooorrrrrdiiiiiiiic!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Rich

Try checking the low beam relay and also the dim dip relay if the contacts are stuck they will stop the circuit and you will lose power to the switch ;)

Pull em out or give em a tap and see if out happens :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll leave it for tonight! It's too cold and wet for tatting, although I did just go out and remove / tap all my relays! I finish work early tomorrow, which means I drive to and from work in the daylight, so it can wait until tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks for your help so far guys!

M

·
0 Posts
Hi
Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like something has happened to the contacts for the rotary part of the light switch since the lights still work when the flasher is pulled(this appears to come of a different set of contacts).
If it is the switch a secondhand one from a tipo should fit :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
Here comes Nordic to save the day !!!!!!!!!!!
I too would say the stalk.
Rich i am down at the Black Alfa at the weekend and can take the stalk off for you to try in yours if you want. ;)

Ted

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let there be light(s)!!

Well I did a bit of tattin this afternoon... and it wasn't as catastophic as it could have been. I removed all of the cowling on the steering column and unclipped the stalk from the column. Looked around the stalk, wiggled the plugs etc. There's two multiway plugs on the end of the stalk - a larger one going into the loom, and a smaller one carrying the connections up into the actual stalk, providing the connectivity for the light switch and foglamp switch. Follow these wires up and the end in another plug which connects to a pcb in the body of the stalk - mine had wondered off and wasn't doing any connecting anymore! A quick push on, and I'm sorted.

Thanks all for all your help - I reckon I'd have been rummaging around in fuses, relays and fuse boxes for days otherwise!

M

·
0 Posts
:) Glad it was a happy ending and without any expense. :D

I had a good day as well today. My 155 passed it's MOT with flying colours. :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 'appy, you're 'appy, everybody's 'appy!

Except Quinnn probably!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts