Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to keep this short I'm going to leave out a lot of detail, but you will get the picture, easy enough.

I have for some time been suffering all sorts of minor niggles, all of which seemed to be totally unrelated. So as my car was going in for a partial respray (with gratitude to Alfa Romeo and my dealer for securing it) I asked them to keep the car and get everything sorted before I got it back, as the 3rd year warranty was running out. Prior to this some of the niggles had got serious, in a short space of time. So, the respray was done, and the mechanical fault finding started.

I was without the car in total for 8 weeks, including 3 weeks in the body shop, also another 3 I was on holiday. I wasnt too bothered as I did have another car to use, and each of the potential 'fixes' had to be tried, to see if the fix had worked. Alfa techs and my dealers head tech spent many hours trying to find the source of these problems, what appeared to mechanical faults, the worst being a judder on hard acceleration, a judder that at time of the car going in had put the car beyond being drivable.

Alfa Romeo, put lots of parts on the car trying to fix a problem they had never encountered before, my dealer gave them and me full support in trying to fix the problem. In the end, and I still dont know why they did this, they tried a different ECU, off a similar car, instantly ALL the problems disappeared!:wow: . In disbelief, they switched my ECU to the donor car, all the faults went with!!!!

After fitting many hundereds of £'s of parts to my car, the fault was not born in Italian engineering, but in German electronics! (Boch ECU).

So Alfa Romeo have proved to me that they take problems with our cars seriously, put time and money into fixing them. But would it have been the same without the support, and tenacity of the best Alfa Romeo dealership in the world (not maybe!!), thank you to Monza Sport in West Sussex.

If you have problems getting things fixed on your car through Alfa Romeo, change your dealer!

So now I have a car with all the stone chips gone, the bodywork looks like new, and the car drives better than it has ever driven. I'm approaching the end of my first tank of fuel, and it looks like the fuel consumption is improved as well!:D It really is like driving a different car.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
What a brilliant story! Great work Monza Sport! :thumbs:

Fanatastic to hear such a good piece of customer service.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When I first started reading your post I was expecting it to be your first (aka a dealer putting up a good story for a bit of good PR).

However, this is not to be the case! Excellent!

Nice to see some dealers will actually 'think outside the box' as opposed to just think about how much they can charge you!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've now just filled up for the second time since the new ECU. Tank to tank calculations....

42MPG!! I'm a happy bunny.:D

So I wonder if engine problems and poor fuel consumption on some 1.9 JTDm engines is down to a dodgy ECU?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Great stuff!

My old 33 P4 had developed slightly asthmatic running for a long time before I changed dealers... (this was back in the bad old days of the mid-nineties and pre-forums etc. I have to say).

I'd just become used to it and didn't mention it but the mech' just driving it round to the service address noticed it and instantly knew what it was - just a blocked/carbonned up crankcase vent. It's amazing sometimes what simple problem can transform a car.. and better still that someone can seem to be the only person around who knows what the fix is... :D

Good result though and credit to the dealer for persevering. Let's hope AR gets a boost in the next JD Power surveys.. since they do seem to be trying harder than most these days..

Ralf S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts