Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First post so be gentle:) We bought our 1.8TS Sportwagon after looking for ages. Eventually bit the bullet when our faithful Mondeo Estate (don't go there) cracked the sump and left us stranded. We also own a Reliant Scimitar so I think it's the aesthetic rather than the kinetic we admire. The Alfa looks gorgeous, turns heads and, until recently, went like sh*t off a shiny shovel. It's been in and out of the garage for bits'n'bobs rather regularly but the latest one seems terminal :confused: We had the timing re-done to be on the safe side, new spoiler fitted, electrics sorted out, oil and fliter change, plugs etc, etc....but....it was always losing/using oil - lots of it! Last week whilst driving in a spirited :rolleyes: fashion it lost 2/3rds power and wouldn't rev over 3000rpm. Mechanic now reports that no 2 cylinder has NO compression and little oil left in engine - until he digs deeper can't advise on cost/consequences. So, fellow owners, a couple of questions .... since T/Spark engines seem to be like hen's teeth and it looks like we may need one, can a 1.8 be swapped for a 2 litre and, if so, what else needs changed at the same time? Any advice where to source a good 2nd hand unit and any pointers for Alfa mechanics in NE Scotland?

I am aware that this may well be my first and last post on this forum due to the costs involved in sorting the Alfa but I hope not - Jeez, I thought Scimitar's were bad enough to keep on the road!!

TIA chaps and as I get to be more familiar with these beautiful cars I hope to be able to input some helpful advice rather than just leeching.

Vorsprung durch spaghetti

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi
CP Garage in Dundee have a good rep on here,
C P Garage services, Unit 3, Baluniefield Industrial Estate, Dundee Tel 01382 731479.

I've used McLennans in south Edinburgh for my cambelt who were very good but maybe too far away from you.
http://www.mclennansgarage.com/
It would be worth calling both for advice or your prob, the old boy at McLennans was really helpful and will go into as much technical detail as you need on any problem

good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO and Alfa ownership :)

I assume you've got a proper Scimitar, lets see a pic :D

·
Super Moderator
60,038 Posts
Hi D00dler, sorry to hear of your alfa's problems, hope you get the help you need. Stick around, it's a great site. Cheers:)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hi there and welcome.
I'm used to showing my ignorance so...
Maybe this should form part of a technical thread (moderator..???) but so far as engine swapping is concerned, it's almost certainly possible since the factory build 2.0TS versions. The question is what will be required in terms of subsidiary bits to be changed - like engine ECU for instance? What about engine mounts & drive shafts? I suspect that the 1.8 hasn't got the balancer shafts, so would therefore be more of a derivative of the 1.6 than the 2-litre. OK you may get away with re-programming the ECU with luck, but that may cost the same as a replacement.
Does that spark any other comments - come on chaps!
Hugh Price aka Wrenched

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Recardo - a bit too far away but maybe useful in the future.

I presume you mean an SE5 Alfaholic - so, nope it's an SE6a, 3litre, V6, Auto - bogie green. Will post a pic once I'm more familiar with the site. It's our 3rd (and best) Scimitar - bought off E-bay for very little but gets used too rarely due to the lack of 4* and mpg!!!

So far been quoted £987 for 2nd hand 1.8TS engine with 46k and 2 mths warranty - awaiting the news from garage on whether it'll be needed or not - wish me luck :(

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
d00dler said:
I presume you mean an SE5 Alfaholic - so, nope it's an SE6a, 3litre, V6, Auto - bogie green. Will post a pic once I'm more familiar with the site. It's our 3rd (and best) Scimitar - bought off E-bay for very little but gets used too rarely due to the lack of 4* and mpg!!!
I just meant a GTE 'Princess Anne' style model.....not one of those SS1 bathtubs they build later on ;) :D
Always had a liking for them, shame there's not a modern version. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts