Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
No the cabin gets a different source of air. The air filter is just for the engine. There should be a seperate pollen filter for the cabin, usually under the scuttle panel.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I don't think anything large enough to do any damage will get through a cotton filter. A 6" long, thin straw similar to what you get with a can of WD40 went straight through the inlet manifold of my JTD when I was applying some Powerboost engine de-coking agent, it just made a slight stutter and carried on as normal. I did another 15k with no ill effects noted. If an engine can chew through that, a bit of pollen isn't going to hurt anything.
:wow: :lol:

Sounds to good to be true from just an airfilter:confused: But, like pud, I have no clue to what the intake looks like in the first place. I know the 2.0 JTS is restricted through the intake, the pipe it draws the air through has a cotton(i think), baffle like texture?! Which can't be good for air flow. :tut:

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Like I said earlier, if you want to easily tell if your air filter is the restriction, or if its the intake route itself, just take the filter out of the airbox and have a quick drive without it in. If it feels much better, you know the filter is restrictive and you can make some improvements. If it feels no better, you know the OE filter is fine. :)

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
The 159 filter is a pig to get at to change though!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Yeah it was a bit of a project! It is far, far easier if you buy a screwdriver with a 7mm socket on the end, or the equivalent 7mm box spanner end.

Just to be clear, it is an improvement but not revolutionary. The point is for £35 I was really pleased with the increased smoothness and how much quicker it climbs through the revs. It's a lot of bang for your buck - though the total increase is small. Glad I didn't pay half an hours labour for installation. Nice sense of achievement too!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Don't know if anyone's noticed but Autodelta are now affiliated with Alfaowner:cool:

I'm seriously considering a map & AD filter on my Ti, mainly to eradicate the stupid low down hesitation which Alfa acknowledge but will not do sod all about:mad:

If I get a few extra ponies & torques and better MPG bonus:D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A non AO buddy has offered me a drive in his Autodelta remapped 2.2 Brera. I'm seeing him on the 8th and can't wait. He's just had Jano put the revised phase 2 map on too (foc) and reckons it's the biz:cool:

N

·
0 Posts
A non AO buddy has offered me a drive in his Autodelta remapped 2.2 Brera. I'm seeing him on the 8th and can't wait. He's just had Jano put the revised phase 2 map on too (foc) and reckons it's the biz:cool:
You could've had a go in mine if you'd been down this summer. :p

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
You could've had a go in mine if you'd been down this summer. :p
Next summer Nev and we really look forward to it:cool:

Does yours have the revised map & airfilter Nev?

My mate Brian also had some custom back boxes made but retained the standard tailpipes. It looks stock but goes and sounds as the car should:cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Regarding the air filter, it isn't the large particles,they would never get through,it is the fine grit you can't see that wears the engine out as it acts like sand paper if your filter is sub standard. Don't ever drive around without an air filter it will do as much damage in a couple of miles as 1,000's miles with an air filter.
I am sure Autodelta would not sell an air filter that was sub standard.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I was nosing around under the front of the Brera today and though I would take some pics to help others thinking of changing thier air filters in 2.2/2.4 Brera's and 159's :)

The air filter is located in front of the right hand front wheel (rhd cars).
After jacking the car up, I undid all the screws that held the front part of the under tray on, a mixture of TX-35 star screws, 6mm allen bolts, and normal "phillips" screws.

The under tray can then be pulled down to give just enough clearance.

undoo these with a long reach 7mm socket.

and the filter has just enough room to slide out.

standard filter and K&N

ready to go back in

(In the pics I had the wheel and inner arch out, but this is not necessary) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Were you getting much smoke before hand?? If so, are you getting less now??
dpf is pritty good on these engines, hav'nt noticed any smoke before or after...I get what you mean though, it could well have leaned out some, due to better breathing, so to speak;) only the rolling road will show if it making more "POWER" (Jeremy Clarkson voice) when I've finished finding a home for my water/methanol bottle it will be back on the rollers :thumbs:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Ahh, I forgot these machines had the dpf. I'm going diesel soon (humble pie) and am a little worried about plumes of soot.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts