Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, what options do i have for improving the radio reception in the alfa 156?

i have tried replacing the amplifier box on the C pillar with a brand new item, no better.

i actually unplugged the aerial cable from this box earlier today before driving to my local halfords (i know, i know) to see if they had a screenmount aerial that was compatible. they didnt, but the funny thing was, with the aerial cable disconnected from the amplifier, and from the aerial elements in the rear screen, the reception was exactly the same!

the screen connections are good, and the earths are good, what else can i do?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I didn't even notice the lack of ariel on my car till last week. Some enthusiast I am!!

My reception is pretty good.... until its raining, then the quality is poor to say the least.

Any idea's anyone. Where would water get into the system?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Change the headunit. The standard one is crap. Seriously. Had the same prob. Sorted with a new radio. Roof mount aerial is no better. I have the facelift 156 with it on the roof and the reception is worse than my old 156 with the aerial in the rear window. Im sorry but a new head unit is the only cure.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Oh the reason your reception is so poor in the rain is probably to do with humidity and clouds and other weather related mumbo jumbo. Sorry not very tech mined when it comes to the weather. The solution for you my friend is the same as my post above. New headunit. Blame your cheap crap standard headunit. Unless you have upgraded it and im completely wrong. :)
Anyway. A new headunit solved my reception probs instantly.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
They're is a roof aerial conversion from Alfa Iain.:)
Shark-fin ariel? I have one on my car, at first it thought it was just a halfords go faster fin but I found out it's a real ariel because i tried to pull it off :lol:

I also have a sony headunit and the radio reception is excellent :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
mines an Alpine x100 fitted a month ago but reception is worse. I've checked the connextion but thats fine, confused! Where's this amp located?? Any diagrammes

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I got a new ariel for my facelift 156 and that seems to have done the trick. It is something to do with the length of the screw thread on the ariel. The Alfa ariel thread is too short. I still have the standard head unit as well.

:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an aerial lead from the "shark fin/bee sting" aerial on a first facelift 156, which I understand from other threads is for phone connection, and the head position?
Seems to me if I could connect to that aerial (and maybe fit a longer antennae) I might be able to receive TMS on Radio 4 longwave, which at present with the rear screen aerial is useless. Reception does improve a little if I switch the demister on! Reception of FM and medium wave is excellent and it seems an expensive experiment to change the head unit as recommended on here.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an aerial lead from the "shark fin/bee sting" aerial on a first facelift 156, which I understand from other threads is for phone connection, and the head position?
Seems to me if I could connect to that aerial (and maybe fit a longer antennae) I might be able to receive TMS on Radio 4 longwave, which at present with the rear screen aerial is useless. Reception does improve a little if I switch the demister on! Reception of FM and medium wave is excellent and it seems an expensive experiment to change the head unit as recommended on here.

The bee sting aeriel on the facelift interior 156 mk2 like mine in the picture opposite is for the radio reception.
If you have the standard clarion cd player still in the car i would advise you to change it.
I know this from experiance as i had a 2001 156 mk1 with this cd player and the reception was awfull and the sound quality was terrible as well.
You dont have to spend a lot on a cd player.
I only paid £60 for mine at at halfords and it was so much better. you have to hear it to believe it. and it cured the signal problem instantly.
And if you shop around you can get the same head unit for £45.
It was plug and play as well so not even difficult to install.

Here is a link for one. for less than £50 delivered. it will cost you that much to buy an aeriel and instal it and hope that it works.
You can also get them with green illumination which is a perfect match for the pre facelift dash.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JVC-KD-G333-FM-/-AM-/-RDS-Receiver_W0QQitemZ120417212157QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link to pic of my car so you acn see if it is the aerial you are talking about.
If it is. It is c r a p. I have put a better antenna on it and it is still poor.
So i am going to upgrade the standard headunit to solve the problem.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/crespo2121/ThenewAlfa007.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
The bee sting aeriel on the facelift interior 156 mk2 like mine in the picture opposite is for the radio reception.
If you have the standard clarion cd player still in the car i would advise you to change it.
I know this from experiance as i had a 2001 156 mk1 with this cd player and the reception was awfull and the sound quality was terrible as well.
You dont have to spend a lot on a cd player.
I only paid £60 for mine at at halfords and it was so much better. you have to hear it to believe it. and it cured the signal problem instantly.
And if you shop around you can get the same head unit for £45.
It was plug and play as well so not even difficult to install.

Here is a link for one. for less than £50 delivered. it will cost you that much to buy an aeriel and instal it and hope that it works.
You can also get them with green illumination which is a perfect match for the pre facelift dash.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JVC-KD-G333-FM-/-AM-/-RDS-Receiver_W0QQitemZ120417212157QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link to pic of my car so you acn see if it is the aerial you are talking about.
If it is. It is c r a p. I have put a better antenna on it and it is still poor.
So i am going to upgrade the standard headunit to solve the problem.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww218/crespo2121/ThenewAlfa007.jpg
Thanks very much crespo2121. My aerial looks the same (without the added antenna of course), but I didn't think it was connected to the head unit (which is a Blaupunkt "Alfa 156 High CD" unit) because I tried connecting a really long (like a coil of cable) to it and it made no difference to the output. So perhaps as you say a different head unit is the solution. I would have to look for one with red illumination however as I have the 2002 facelift dash.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks very much crespo2121. My aerial looks the same (without the added antenna of course), but I didn't think it was connected to the head unit (which is a Blaupunkt "Alfa 156 High CD" unit) because I tried connecting a really long (like a coil of cable) to it and it made no difference to the output. So perhaps as you say a different head unit is the solution. I would have to look for one with red illumination however as I have the 2002 facelift dash.

Its your lucky day.
Now that i know what you have i can advise you propperly.
Your car is the same as mine. I have the standard blaupunkt cd player as well and i can 100% confirm that it is a very weak link.
But more concerning is the fact that your car should have an antenna. I sugest you take a closer look at it in the morning.
There should be a screw hole in the rear part of the molding for the antenna to screw in to.
But dont panic it is not a major issue. You can buy a universal antenna from halfords for £8 and appart from looking a lot nicer than the standard one which looks like a coat hanger poking out of the moulding it will probably improve your signal. (See my previous pic for what it looks like on the car).
If you are looking for a cheap cd player to match the silver finish of the dash then look no further than this.

EXPIRED - Blaupunkt Casablanca MP56 CD Player only £49.90 at Halfords - reserve and collect WAS £149.90 - HotUKDeals Forum

you can get the suround in silver to match the dash and it has about 6 squillion colours so you can get it to perfectly match the red illumination.
But if you want it get it quick as it is discontinued so when there gone there gone. and its a bloody bargain at that price.
Im getting one.:thumbs:

Oh and you can get an adapter so you can keep the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon of someone elses thread, but I'm suffering with the same problem.

I listen to 5 Live on AM and the reception is chronic. I don't think an external aerial from Halfords will help me as my car seems pretty bare on top:

My unit is this:

Would a third party CD player solve my problems, or is the lack of external aerial going to ruin any chance of decent AM reception?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts