Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a discussion with my mechanic about improving the brakes but he said that he has done the best he can with racing pads and vented discs.
Nothing else he can do.

Has anyone been able to improve their brake systems to match a modern cars system?

Was just driving a focus and realised how cruddy the alfas brakes are.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
hmmm odd
only cos the brakes on my sud (there are inboard vented standard pads) are spot on.
might be due to weight tho
but i have seen in this forum a post about upgraded calipers
so maybe calipers is you next bet if you have already done pads and disks

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The new calipers and discs off the larger cars as discussed in the links above is a good option. I've just upgraded to vented and grooved discs with racing pads on standard calipers and they seem pretty good and will lock the wheels with enough pedal pressure (it wouldnt before).
There is also a bracket that can be made to stop the master cylinder flexing under heavy braking and also it may be worth replacing all the flexible hoses to try and firm up the pedal a little.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
brakes from 16v with disks all around, steel brake tubes , DOT 4 brake liquid and good pads and you are ok.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rumour in australia is you can fit a certain model commodore calliper with a large magna disc (i think confirmation may be required) these are both big family cars so the brakes are decent i think i found that out on an alfabb.com thread so maybe search there. hope that helps

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
This is one solution ( also Calibra's caliper will do) but there is an issue with those calipers. As it seems they are not very stable in their pressure and after a while they dont have equal pressure and they need to be calibrated often.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
This is one solution ( also Calibra's caliper will do) but there is an issue with those calipers. As it seems they are not very stable in their pressure and after a while they dont have equal pressure and they need to be calibrated often.
I used Vauxhall calipers, 164 TS discs and Mintex pads on my 1.7 Sprint. Had plenty of track use and never much problem with the brakes, needed a hard push compared to modern cars but worked well

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bracing the brake/clutch master cylinder to the fire wall is a good place to start. As when you push on the brakes the master cylinder flexes due to a weakish support, lift your bonnet and try to push on the brake pedal and look at how much it moves, for a simple right angled plate jubilee clipped in at least 2 places to the master cylinder and 2 M8 bolts through the bulkhead will give a harder feel to the pedal. Bleeding your brakes every time you change the pads helps for a little while . I have done some quite extensive mods to mine but I think a bigger master cylinder may be the way to produce higher pressure to the calipers would be the ideal way to go.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have done some quite extensive mods to mine but I think a bigger master cylinder may be the way to produce higher pressure to the calipers would be the ideal way to go.
Hi Iain - you need a smaller bore diameter to increase the pressure, otherwise the pedal gets heavier for the same hydraulic pressure. I have a reasonable pedal pressure, even though I have twin master cylinders (balance bar brakes), because I got the smallest internal bore size AP Racing supply, which is 0.625" or thereabouts.

Lauren

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi Iain - you need a smaller bore diameter to increase the pressure, otherwise the pedal gets heavier for the same hydraulic pressure. I have a reasonable pedal pressure, even though I have twin master cylinders (balance bar brakes), because I got the smallest internal bore size AP Racing supply, which is 0.625" or thereabouts.

Lauren
Hi Lauren, Hope your well, so perhaps a better(newer?) servo to give the pedal feel/brake improvement, although I have to admit I really should replace the vacuum line to it, its still the original one.:lol:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hi Lauren, Hope your well, so perhaps a better(newer?) servo to give the pedal feel/brake improvement, although I have to admit I really should replace the vacuum line to it, its still the original one.:lol:
The servo only affects the feel of the pedal, it doesn't improve the braking per se. Smaller bore master cylinders increase the line pressure for a given pedal input. Or you can move the pushrod clevis pin closer to the pedal hinge, which increases the mechanical advantage. Or increase the length of the pedal, like I did.

The vacuum diaphram in the servo on Top Banana failed before I sold it, which left me with non-servo brakes. They needed a bit of heft to get them to work, but the effeciency was unaltered. Not sure if it was ever fixed, I haven't heard from the current owner recently...

Lauren

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the advice. Some different options here. Maybe the most basic and cheapest will be adding braces.
Have to look into this next month. Currently on a business trip overseas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts