Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an Alfa GT 1.8 Petrol and i'm just looking at maybe improving the performance. A bit more power would be nice.

I wouldn't have a fortune to spend and i wouldn't want to sell it and get another model.

I've looked into getting it remapped but there doesn't seem to be much gains for petrol cars.

I'm also thinking about getting a "K&N 57i Induction Kit Alfa Romeo GT 1.8". Would anyone have experience with these? Is it worth getting and is power increased much?

Any other improvement advice would be appreciated or if you think i should just leave it alone.

Thanks for the help

Alan.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You'll get a bit more power and a nice sound from a 571 but not much. Perhaps a custom cat back exhaust will free a few more ponies and with a remap too I'd imagine you'll be looking at 150-160 all in at a push.

C

·
0 Posts
A k&n 57i cone filter will make a nice noise but it won't give you any power gains. Most people on here will tell you that as they're oiled they'll kill the maf but most people don't know what they're talking about. I've had one on mine for 3 years and it's not adversely affected maf lifespan. The real problem is they replace the air box and consequently hang very low down, meaning they are prone to sucking in flood water which will ruin your day and your engine very quickly.

A decat and a performance exhaust may give you around a 5bhp gain.

Remaps - you could try Gus @ alfatune in st Helen's, Liverpool. Anything over and above this will start costing serious money.

Cams would be next on my list, then a rebore to take it out to 2.0l. You may well ask why not bung a 2.0 in but they're a heavier engine and don't rev as well as they have balancer shafts.

A set of stiffer anti roll bars is worth the investment too.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I thought the 1.8 has the same bore as the 2.0? just needs the block machining to take the 2.0 crank, fit 2.0 pistons as the crown is lower.

Isn't that what Dee had done to his 155? project 1750 iirc
It's the heads that are the same mate. Bore and stroke are different.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
looks like a nice bit of work he's done.

C

·
0 Posts
It was dee that I had in mind when I floated the thought, you're right it's the stroke that's different #blonde moment...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
brill engine... good cams, nice zorst, good chip and IIRC a 1.6 gearbox now for shorter ratio's

I've driven Dee's car and it is pretty rapid for a 1.8 > 2.0 conversion very quick indeed :) and it handles... Well it will once he gets round to sorting the tin worm and pops it on road again :)

iirc were the 2.0 155's in the btcc not also built on a 1.8 block?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
iirc were the 2.0 155's in the btcc not also built on a 1.8 block
They were ... have an old Touring Car book somewhere ... I'll have to dig it out and have another read.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts