Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine's got the Mk1 lights, but AFAIK the facelifts aren't much better in terms of performance.

I replaced the headlights a few months ago (admittedly they're of the TYC variety) and while they are certainly better than the 13 year old originals were, certainly still crap by modern standards.

Not very keen on going the HID route (not legal here, at least not this side of retrofitting the entire OE shebang with self levelling and washers).

So scouring the web I found this on upgrading the headlamps wiring, has anyone got any experience with this kind of stuff? I wasn't aware wiring can make such a big difference (article states "When voltage drops to 90 percent (11.88v), bulb output is only 67 percent of what it should be.")

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
The TYC are even worse than the OEM.

Best option is a projector HID conversion.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
If you can't fit hids, your only option is better units and better lamps ...

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If HIDs are totally out of the question, projector units with Halogen bulbs in would still be better than the OEM headlights.

Relays and short feed wires may make the std lights better, but you are still stuck with a very poor reflector.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. If I were to go the HID route, would it make much of a difference which kit I go for? There are loads of options out there, tbh most seem suspiciously cheap and not very confidence inspiring with their tacky branding and graphics on the box etc.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Even the poor quality HIDS will be amazing compared to halogen. However, have a look on the web and watch some of the videos that show retrofitting projector lights. Put HIDS in projectors and you get a really good beam focus and cut off that won't dazzle or annoy oncoming drivers.

You can fit greater wattage bulbs (80 or 100W) and they will give significant light improvement but you really should combine that with relays and bigger wiring to feed the bulbs. Also the higher temp of the brighter bulbs will overheat the reflectors and cause them to loose reflectivity and eventually you will be back to where you started.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
There are LED bulbs on ebay for about £15, they MAY improve light output and for that amount its probably worth trying. (They use Samsung LEDs apparently).

And even if they dont work, I d be looking at some other sort of modern LED solution, HIDs are soo last century.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts