Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently noticed a few of those expensive sounding fart noises from the rear shelf sub when playing something with some extra depth and bass

(damn that new Prodigy CD!!)

so before i go diving in for a change, has anyone made any improvments on the Bose shelf sub as like for like swap out?

and if so, what did you buy and fit??

i don't want to be told that a 13GW 3 foot polycarbontetrochloromethane liquid plutonium filled mega cone woofer in a 3cubic metre 4inch thick concrete enclosure is the answer to play music properly, i've been there and done that, still doing it to be honest, but not in my 156 which sounds really really nice with the Bose upgrade system anyway, when its all working well!

i'm after something that fits and works as well if not better in the enclosure and with the amplification that Alfa and Bose gave us.

thanks in advance

shrew

·
Registered
31 Posts
bose sub upgrade

Hello i am currently working on a 8" alpine sub replacement for a gt it will go in the place of the bose and it will be a fibreglass mould so it wont weigh much but will sound much better i will post some pics tommorrow this might give you some ideas.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look forward to it madman

this is what i was hoping for.

shrew

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i didn't know the 156 could come with parcel mounted sub. cool. what size is it?

it could be possible to upgrade, but there's a few things to consider:
*fitment: a replacement may not drop straight in without some mods to secure it; depends on the size of the frame and depth
*impedence: what is the factory sub, 2ohm or 4ohm? keep it the same
*sensitivity: this is the efficiency of the sub; if it's much different to the factory one (ie: 3dB/W/m or more different), it will either be much louder or softer, and probably the latter
*Thiele-Small specs: usually dictated by the Qts; if the factory sub is a parcel shelf version, it is presumably utilising the entire boot as its 'enclosure', meaning it is a 'free air/infinite baffle' design; as opposed to a more conventional sub that requires its own, smaller dedicated enclosure/subbox; only a sub suited to free air application should be used, or else a conventional sub will 'bottom out' readily (reach mechanical limits of cone excursion); such subs tend to have a high Qts spec, like >0.45

it often isn't so easy to find a replacement for factory subs. and if you don't factor in the above, it could end up worse. it is also why most people would go with a 'boxed' sub in the boot.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts