Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know its not much vs my usual commute.

But after firing up the 166. Loaded up with 5 people plus luggage and an extra spare wheel in the boot we set off down to Bristol. Okay its not the longest journey for the 166 to do.

but with my latest spat of sump breaking. Flexi pipe breaking and the clutch failing spectacularly the car didn't fill me with much confidence.

Well this weekend it earnt a bit more of my trust.
It took me. My friends and anything else we could pack with ease.

Bombed it down to bristol 85mph no issues in comfort. Perfect climiate control. Lovely leather seats. Even the standard becker audio unit allowed my friends to play their music so we had a right laugh and party in it. Showing that although shes an old beast of a car she can still be considered cool by some later twenty year olds.

Okay fuel economy was a bit poor at those speeds all laden up but it really was a brilliant comfy stealthy ride. Felt like it could do it all day.

Never missed a beat.
niw the big silver surfer has started to make a lot of sense.

Its too big and soft on those smaller roads to have too much fun. But as a long cruiser I think it would have been hard to beat.

the twin spark was out its depth a bit with all that weight. But once up at speed it felt like the chassis could hold 150mph if it had that bigger engine. And yes acceleration was greatly hampered. But its quite. Comfortable and im a little bit in love with it...

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,527 Posts
hurrah! it's always good when a car both surprises and delights you. Here's to many more happy miles in your 166 :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad to know she is back on the road happily eating miles of tarmac :thumbup:

I agree with 166 being a great cruiser. Couple of months ago I loaded up the car with 3 passengers, our luggage, full tank of LPG and a spare wheel in the boot and went for comfortable trip all the way to Czech Republic. The car just flew forward and made the 1500km journey in one go (several refills needed of course :biglaugh:). At the end everyone got out as fresh as one possibly can after a day in a car with compliments about how comfortable the journey was (big :thumbup: for momo leather seats!). On the way back to London being alone in the car I took the liberty of driving on a German highway and pushed the beast a little bit more than usual 150-160km/h. Thanks to my tired suspension the car was a bit more unstable above 210km/h so I had not stayed there for long. But 240km/h it did with a relative ease.

Smaller roads with 166 are about relaxation and even though it can corner very well for such a big car my brother beats me with his 147 1.6TS any time. Still I am in love with my 166 :xmas: and felt pretty bad today for not cleaning her interior properly for last 3 months :paranoid:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do love having lpg. It has its drawbacks. But when you can get everyone in and luggage and everything else and cart people from a to b in high comfort its a hard car to beat. Think I did the 200 mile journey for approximately 14 pounds.

Can't moan at that at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice to see some other folk acknowledge the 166 for what it actually is - a cruiser.

NOT a sportscar.....

(The poster formerly known as ChrisS)

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Well I know its not much vs my usual commute.

But after firing up the 166. Loaded up with 5 people plus luggage and an extra spare wheel in the boot we set off down to Bristol. Okay its not the longest journey for the 166 to do.

but with my latest spat of sump breaking. Flexi pipe breaking and the clutch failing spectacularly the car didn't fill me with much confidence.
:paranoid::thumbup: (Wait till you get the cambelt ping.:readit::biglaugh:
Well this weekend it earnt a bit more of my trust.
It took me. My friends and anything else we could pack with ease.

Bombed it down to bristol 85mph no issues in comfort. Perfect climiate control.
Pondered this yesterday...Whit is a 166 with working aircon worth.. has to be ..Loads a cash.

Lovely leather seats. Even the standard becker audio unit allowed my friends to play their music so we had a right laugh and party in it. Showing that although shes an old beast of a car she can still be considered cool by some later twenty year olds.

Okay fuel economy was a bit poor at those speeds all laden up but it really was a brilliant comfy stealthy ride. Felt like it could do it all day.

Never missed a beat.

:thumbup:YUP THAT'S A 166.

niw the big silver surfer has started to make a lot of sense.

Its too big and soft on those smaller roads to have too much fun. But as a long cruiser I think it would have been hard to beat.

the twin spark was out its depth a bit with all that weight. But once up at speed it felt like the chassis could hold 150mph if it had that bigger engine. And yes acceleration was greatly hampered. But its quite. Comfortable and im a little bit in love with it...
Nice to see some other folk acknowledge the 166 for what it actually is - a cruiser.

NOT a sportscar..... Can when it wants to be.....Poss not Form 1 butt.:biglaugh:

(The poster formerly known as ChrisS) AAARGH....Coodnae log in yesterday tay pose my poser.Wondered why you coodnae until I tried loads a times.
Yup in a 166 is a nice place to be.

Pomeo formerly kent as Pomeo....How I didnae flock it up I dinnae ken.

PS NB IF wee Nic get her way 4 166's wull be heading south and its no even winter:devious: I have even forgiven yeeze awe when I was a boy and only goat 19/6 or was it 19sand 6p. tay the pound.:rofl:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I say after everything going wrong in the first 1000 miles of owning the car I was a bit worried.
Thankfully it didn't let me down.

I'll change the cambelt in 6 months. They are easy to do on the twinsparks and I've got all the kit to do it anyway. At £100 for the kit no reason not to do it.

it's the fact the boot is so large. Wonder how low the car would have looked with all of us in the car. With the 17's its not exactly on stilts anyway. So must have given it a right low profile.

Really is a lovely tourer that can handle well if there is just one of you in the car. But the twinnie becomes a bit of a slug with the added weight.

Still I am starting to love it.

Reactions: Egon

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Planning a trip to France..Italy...Croatia...Austria...Germany and back for August.
166 is on 152,000 miles...another 3000 miles...it will lap it up....

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mines on high mileage before I got to it and some parts show it. But engines 80k from a gtv but the shell and the rest of it is at 164k.

really hope to get it to 200k. I really want to hut that barrier with a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts