Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The screw that holds the sliding compartment that houses the battery inside both of my key fobs has worn out, it feels like it has been made of a very pliable metal and the previous owner has completely worn out the head so there's is no grip. I'm worried the I have now had the car for 4 years and it feels like the battery is wearing down and I will be in real trouble if it dies.
I really can't get the screw out so I'm thinking of ordering replacement fob shells and getting someone with more knowledge of car key electronics to 'break' into the key fob and put the old circuitry and key blade into a new fob - has anyone had to do this, it just seems odd that both keys have screws that are un-turnable as the groove on the head is worn and won't grip.
Any advice on this would be appreciated - any London based key fob experts?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
And the head on the 'screw' in your pic looks nearly as good as new, so shouldn't pose any problems, especially since it's not a screw at all but a little locking pin you just have to turn a quarter turn. So it's not as though it's done up tight or anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aha! Thanks everyone. I've just changed the battery on my key and will do the same on the other set later today. I couldn't see the symbols, even with my reading glasses on, so thanks for that - it's really obvious in the photo....once you know it's there. The head of the screw on mine is OK but the other key wouldn't move at all but now I know it only has to go a small way I'll persevere :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The little plastic spur that the locking pin grabs hold of often wears out or breaks when someone tries to lever the holder out.
This results in the battery holder dropping loose all the time so its possible that the previous owner has glued it shut.
If it won't turn easily then don't force it. Prise off the badge/logo and remove the screw underneath. You can then pull the key apart and get to everything more easily and at least see where the problem lies.
Be warned though, you will need to put it all together again! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Mine was easy but the other was was a bit trickier....but with a bit of patience it all came good. I'll remember the advice about the badge if it is ever becomes too tricky to get the screw to rotate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts