Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm currently visiting famiky in Tasmania, I couldn't resist looking at the classifieds and I've spotted a couple of interesting looking cars, ones a S2 33 with a factory fitted 1700 ie engine!, a S2 33 sportwagon in mint condition and a GTV6.

Has anyone imported a car from Oz? Any idea of costs, import taxes etc? The S2 33 is only approx 300quid and apparanetly has a good engine and box and the body looks good as well (no salt on the roads).

Any advice wou;d be appreciated. If you want to see details check out gumtree Australia and then Tasmaina, Hobart region

Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cheapest way is to put them in a Container and six weeks later they'll be in Blighty. You'll get two cars in a 40ft container easily. I wonder would you get three 33's in a 40ft container if you removed the bumpers and put them inside the cars for the trip? Wikipedia says a 33 is 13ft 4 inches long. Just too long to fit. I'm sure you would lose six inches if you took both bumper off? I make that 38.5ft!

It's a lot easier to get an Australian car on the road in the UK than it is to send a car from the UK to Australia where they'll go over it with a magnifying glass looking for anything non original and generally make you life a misery!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
hi mate how is your 33 coming along ,i wish you had told me you were going as i have someone that wants a engine from me over there you could have taken it in your suitcase lol.
I dont know how much it would cost but could you not contact a shipping company over there and find out how much a container would be.
Im sure someone on here will be able to help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,

I'm going to contact a shipping company over here, its a bit harder from Tassie as the cars will need shipping to the main land first. I'LL let you all know how it goes. Any advice welcome though!

Hey Pat,

The sills, floors and rear panel are all done, it just needs repairs to the front inner wings and a replacemnt rad support panel. I'm hoping to have it on the road for the summer.

Check out the link

Alfa - Free Local Classifieds | Stuff For Sale, Jobs, Cars, Property & More | Gumtree Hobart Region

V

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I imported a old yank car from the USA about 6 years ago, it came over in part of 40' shipping container, obvoiusly prices will vary so shop around. If you call HMRC and tell them all the details of the vehicle and when its coming in to the uk and which port etc. then they will give you a commodity code which will detail all the tax and import duty that will be payable on its port of entry (although you can pay this later). If its classed as a classic car the import duty is low, about 5%. Well this is what I did but like I said it was about 6 years ago so could have changed a bit since then. Not sure if the fact it was originally made in Italy will make any difference, the taxes payable should be less than the shipping cost either way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I've had two quotes both of which are for a single car in a 20ft container. The price is approx 1400quid. On top of that I would have to pay an additonal 300quid for loading/offloading plus taxes so getting on for 2k plus taxes. In addition I would have to drain the fuel and pay for it to get to Melbourne from Hobart (approx 500quid):cry:

Ar well.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm going to contact a shipping company over here, its a bit harder from Tassie as the cars will need shipping to the main land first. I'LL let you all know how it goes. Any advice welcome though!

Hey Pat,

The sills, floors and rear panel are all done, it just needs repairs to the front inner wings and a replacemnt rad support panel. I'm hoping to have it on the road for the summer.

Check out the link

Alfa - Free Local Classifieds | Stuff For Sale, Jobs, Cars, Property & More | Gumtree Hobart Region

personally... i really like the gold/bronze S1 :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts