Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a bit of a rant i thought i'd share with people on my level.

Im importing a 1966 Alfa Duetto from America, It arrives tomorrow..:thumbs::)

In order to get VAT relief from customs (will only need to pay 50 quid). I need to get a letter from Alfa romeo. This letter needs to state that the car was made within the EU. WHERE THE HELL DO THEY THINK THE CAR WAS BUILT IN 1966, CHINA?????:mad::mad::mad::rant::rant: Have these people never heard of Milan!!!

On the funny side though, I tried to phone Alfa headquaters in the UK, got put though to Fiat in Italy, where I spoke to an Australian. So that was fun!!!

now for the restoration. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
60,119 Posts
Cool :D I had to get a letter from Alfa U.S. to import my 94 Spider, that was fun too, not. Alfa left the States in 95.

Lots of pictures needed of the resto please :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm not looking foward to it, these things are always more difficult than it seems. Ill post picture as it progresses!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Will they not accept a letter from the the Alfa Romeo Owners Club? You can email Alfa Romeo with the chassis number and they will send you the build date and original spec. They might even email you it in a word doc - they're pretty good at that sort of thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paid the full VAT on my imports !

Hi

Noted your thread and saw that you only needed to pay £50 Vat on your import ?. I imported a GTV and a Stepfront from South Africa last year and paid the full 17.5%, did not know there could be a discount ? - The GTV was made in SA but not the Stepfront I think.

Any info on this would be appreciated as I have seen another car out there and would like to import again. Thanks Richie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im my first post I said it was VAT, it is actually Tax (exsise duty) that you can get discount on if you can prove the car was originally built in an EU country. We imported a 4 1/14 Bentley last year (built in Derby) and we didnt get the option of tax releif. I think it must be a change in the law!!???? The VAT is still 15%.

Does anyone know an email for AROC. Cant find it on their website....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is just a bit of a rant i thought i'd share with people on my level.

Im importing a 1966 Alfa Duetto from America, It arrives tomorrow..:thumbs::)

In order to get VAT relief from customs (will only need to pay 50 quid). I need to get a letter from Alfa romeo. This letter needs to state that the car was made within the EU. WHERE THE HELL DO THEY THINK THE CAR WAS BUILT IN 1966, CHINA?????:mad::mad::mad::rant::rant: Have these people never heard of Milan!!!

On the funny side though, I tried to phone Alfa headquaters in the UK, got put though to Fiat in Italy, where I spoke to an Australian. So that was fun!!!

now for the restoration. :)

The Duetto looks fantastic! Is there much to do with it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi mike69. Yeah there is a fair bit. It needs the usual welding on the sills, new ones probably. I believe the engine is running a bit rough, so a rebuild is in order and the interior needs replacing. you know how it goes with these things, its always a toss up as to how far you take it. Really for the price of the parts, which is quite good, I'm gonna do a full resto on it, make it mint!!!! I got it quite cheap from America, I haven't actually seen the car yet, just loads of photos, but we bought a Derby Bentley from the same guy last year and he tells you how it is, so its all good. But the cars waiting in Themesport for me now, gonna pick it up next week. So fingers crossed!!!! Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The last place I worked for imported a Mercedes 190SL fromt the US. For some reason it worked out cheaper to ship it to Holland and for us to then fetch it back to the UK from Rotterdam. Apparently old cars imported to Holland pay a tiny amount of import duty and of course once this has been paid, there's nothing to pay to get it into the UK.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The best thing to do (or was when I did it 15 yrs ago) is to own the car in the US for, I think, at least 6 months then it becomes your personal possession and you pay no duty at all :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi mike69. Yeah there is a fair bit. It needs the usual welding on the sills, new ones probably. I believe the engine is running a bit rough, so a rebuild is in order and the interior needs replacing. you know how it goes with these things, its always a toss up as to how far you take it. Really for the price of the parts, which is quite good, I'm gonna do a full resto on it, make it mint!!!! I got it quite cheap from America, I haven't actually seen the car yet, just loads of photos, but we bought a Derby Bentley from the same guy last year and he tells you how it is, so its all good. But the cars waiting in Themesport for me now, gonna pick it up next week. So fingers crossed!!!! Ill keep you posted.

I'm looking forward to the updates and photos! Duettos just look stunning. Cue gratuitous pic of successor; :inlove:

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going back to the begining of this thread, the Australian guy at Fiat (call centre) in Italy was really helpful. He gave us all the contact infos for Alfa archives. In case the're of any use to anyone else here they are: Archivio Storico Alfa Romeo, Viale Alfa Romeo, 20020 Arese, Milano. Tel: 00 39 (0)2444429115 Fax: 00 39 (0)2444428152 E-mail: [email protected] Website: www.archivostorico.alfaromeo.it Problem is nobody from Milan has replied yet. To be fair we did write in English, so they may need a translation first. We will probably get more luck with the AROC archives. Can't wait to get our hands on the Duetto. Guy who sold it said it was a 67 but it's a 66. It's on Webbers, but don't know what brakes yet, although it has got a servo. Thankfully it looks good and original and doesn't look as though its been messed around. What would life be like without old cars? - or new ones!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive now contacted the AROC and the Giulia 105 chap is getting me a letter from archives.

Cheers Halfnelson good plan!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked the Duetto up from Themesport today (what a messy port). Car is great, not messed about with, really original and most of all COMPLETE. :) . Only had a few mins to look around it, tried to start it, the car turned over lovley and strong but didn't fire, maybe no fuel after shipping :rolleyes:, they normally drain the tank. Outer sills and floor pans shot, as expected but really nothing shocking.

But what a gorgeous looking car!!!!:wow:

Will post pics tomorrow. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm glad she's come through okay. Did you get her started once you got some fuel? They are $ods for helping themselves on these transporter ships, last car that I imported had an empty tank and all of the front fog and indicator lamps stolen.

Get those pics going! :thumbs:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats not good, we imported a Derby Bentley last year and someome put a screwdriver through the aluminium below the rear window, idiots!!!!!:mad:. No it won't start, its turns over fine with a lovely spark to the plugs but i need to get a new fuel pump tomorrow, its got a mechanical pump and the diaphram is nackered.

Ill replace is tuesday and let you know, all other signs say that the pump is the only problem. Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts