Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
I'm in the process of finding a decent GTV6 in the USA to import. I have found a car that looks good and within my budget, but the seller has disclosed the title has "SALVAGED" on it, due apparently to an engine and transaxle failure in its past. I have a feeling this is going to cause me a massive headache with the DVLA. I have previously imported a GTV6 in 1994, but it was already in my name with a clean title. Ironically when I bought my 1994 GTV6 it had a hole in the side of the block with a rod sticking out!

Does anyone know if this is going to be a nightmare for me or not?

-Hazel

Registered
personally I wouldn't want to take on somebody else's problem. At least you would need total transparency on the salvage title....not just the owner saying it was due to engine failure or whatever.
Yes Insurance companies salvage things in the USA many times for no reason. It just means the cost to repair is more than the value of the car....

.......but do insurance companies really insure the mechanics...??

a wiki article on salvage titles says:

"Title brands such as "salvage," "junk," and "rebuilt" are not standardized, and a vehicle which has such a designation may receive a clean title when registered in a different jurisdiction. Further, vehicles imported to or exported from the United States and Canada are issued a clean title, even if they have been involved in an accident....."

.....although good luck taking a copy of a wiki article into the DVLC, I doubt they can read ..... 馃槀
(plus wiki is riddled with errors)

Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
I take it you would have an engine and cog box to swap over? If the car is perfect in other respects and is well within budget, expect the unexpected, then how about contacting the DVLA for help. Are you a member of AROC? Ken Carrington is the person in AROC who is the go to for communication with the DVLA, he has good contacts and sorts out all these sort of issues. The other thing I would do is ask the seller for a very detailed video, maybe a walk around on Whatsapp video so you can ask him to zoom in on details.

Premium Member
These cars are so hard to buy in person, do you want to buy one just on photos? I feel 100 posts coming and nothing but headaches, but that's just my view.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I've found another clean title car in California, near SF. Well, actually I got a car broker to help me. Before I part with my cash, does anyone have a friend in the area who would be willing to go and do a live video walk-round of the car this weekend, for a fee of course.

Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
Get the vendor to do it, do it on Whatsapp and then you can direct them into any area you want a better look at, that would be my suggestion.

Registered
buying a car un inspected is taking a risk.........OK if it is for 2000$ you might not mind a risk as you know it is not going to be any good.

Americans tend to bondo over things, they generally do not take a car to a shop to have it welded correctly......
Few US States have a vehicle safety check (MOT) and CA is not one of them!.....they only require a VIN check and a bi-annual smog test
Basically as long as it passes the smog they do not care if it is falling apart;)

can you not ask someone on the BB who lives close (tell them the ZIP) to go and check the car in person?
They might even know the car and tell you its a good'un or a bad'un

Few hundred dollars outlay for an inspection, might save you some real trouble and $$$ later

is the car advertised on BAT? (Bringatrailer) or anywhere else? (you could google the VIN number, sometimes you find it or an older advertisement)

just my 2 cents.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou for your 2 cents, all cents greatly appreciated. The Alfa is not advertised anyplace that I can find. The broker has sent me scans of the Title, and I have done a CarFax history search, which is 'clean'. I've got a decent amount of underside shots, a tiny bit of rust here or there, but nothing that would require welding to fix. It looks reasonable, not too-good-to-be-true . I am 90% sure this is a good car that actually exists. My import agent has talked me through thier procedure using 'escrow' which I think will make me 99% sure this is a real car, although it still might be full of Bondo. The current stressor is my USA broker wants me to pay him over the weekend, but the shipper advised me to use escrow and pay when the car is loaded onto the truck on Tuesday. My broker seems genuine, and I have no reason to distrust him, he even says using PayPal is safer all round, whereas the broker uses bank transfer.

I've seen the latest GTV6 on Bring-a-trailer, that is way, way out of my budget.

Registered
DONT USE BANK TRANSFER! 馃槺

Registered
anyone who puts you under stress to pay should be avoided.
well unless you have been talking about this car for the last 3 months and been using up 3 months of his time.... ;)... then OK

with covid and everything going online you cannot imagine the scams out there.
Guys on the BB are seeing their cars offered for sale, when they know it is sitting right there in their garage, with photos just swiped from some car meet or something that they put on the web.

due diligence, no money goes no-where till that car is on the ship to Blighty......that what escrow accounts are for.

Paypal! Paypal is no guarentee! There, there are some of the biggest scams taking place, and in any case as their website says:
Note: Some purchases such as vehicles in the Motors category, industrial machinery used in manufacturing and Real Estate aren't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

You can do an awful lot of checks on the net, google that broker for a start, don't care about his website, look for car blogs where his name comes up, if it comes up.
And carfax or not, google that chassis number, put it in quotes like "Alfa AR1234567890" to filter off any useless stuff....see if you get a hit or not...

there you go! 2 more cents 馃槀

Premium Member
How much is the motor if you don't mind answering, anything decent in the US is fetching good money too these days,

Registered
After Escrow a credit card, not a debit card, would give security.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
How much is the motor if you don't mind answering, anything decent in the US is fetching good money too these days,
Well, that would be telling! Its a good deal. I think escrow IS the way. The agent needs to pay the car owner by escrow on receipt of the title. But that cuts out the poor broker. The broker might not be happy about revealing his fee, but it doesn;t bother me if it is even 50%. I guess I need some legal mechanism to assure the broker he will get his fee once the title is transferred, like another escrow...

Registered
play hard ball.

Reactions: alfahaze

Registered
Have you spoken with anyone who鈥檚 imported from the US recently? It sounds fraught with issues so some first hand advice could prove very useful.
I don鈥檛 personally know this guy but he鈥檚 very active in the Porsche scene and has built a very nice business importing 911鈥檚 but I see he鈥檚 now started importing Alfa鈥檚 too. Might be worth getting in touch and if he鈥檚 a nice guy he may be able to give you some pointers.

Reactions: alfahaze

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Simon, I might give him a call. I have imported a GTV6 before, and I sort of remember what to do. Anyway the shipper picks up the new GTV6 on Wednesday, so I now have the issue of selling my 1975 Alfetta GT. I had a dealer come by yesterday, kick the tryres, and sat in the car, his head touched the roof - he was 6'2". I am considering an auction.

Registered
The auctions do seem to be doing brisk business during lockdown and prices for good examples seems strong. 鈥楾he Market鈥 seem pretty good and have had a few Alfa鈥檚 make good money recently.
Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
The auctions do seem to be doing brisk business during lockdown and prices for good examples seems strong. 鈥楾he Market鈥 seem pretty good and have had a few Alfa鈥檚 make good money recently.
Good luck!
Well, the problem with some auctions is that the winning buyer often never shows up. If they do show up they sometimes offer you a lower price than the auction value. They get away with this behaviour scott-free as there is no punishment for bidding and not paying. There used to be, but the rules changed a few years back.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts