Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
87,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this thread on behalf of someone else, if anyone can help please reply, the information shared could also be a useful resource in the future for others considering doing the same :thumbs:

-----------------------------

If it's possible I'm looking to import my Alfa from Italy & put it on the road here. It's a 1980 registration, what exactly do I need to do to put it on the road legally ?

- What's involved in importing it ? Any taxes or fees payable.

- It'll need to be re registered here with new plates ? Will that be for example 80 C xxx or is there another option, was there previously or is there still a ZV plate option ?

- Classic Insurance, any advice on that.

- Any other issues that I haven't mentioned above ?

All advice & information shared here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

.​

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I'm posting this thread on behalf of someone else, if anyone can help please reply, the information shared could also be a useful resource in the future for others considering doing the same :thumbs:

-----------------------------

If it's possible I'm looking to import my Alfa from Italy & put it on the road here. It's a 1980 registration, what exactly do I need to do to put it on the road legally ?

- What's involved in importing it ? Any taxes or fees payable.

This might help: https://www.ncts.ie/1155

- It'll need to be re registered here with new plates ? Will that be for example 80 C xxx or is there another option, was there previously or is there still a ZV plate option ?

Think that's still an option

- Classic Insurance, any advice on that.

Highly recommend Autoline as they will agree a value on the car rather than going by a black book:
https://www.autoline.co.uk/car/classic-vehicle/

- Any other issues that I haven't mentioned above ?

Do you have a garage?

All advice & information shared here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

.​
Hope that helps?

Reactions: David P

·
Administrator
87,325 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks.

Anyone else got any advice ?
That'll qualify for classic insurance won't it? If so I don't think there's an NCT needed.

Apart from the NCT you can probably bring it in as you would a car from the UK, although you don't need to pay VRT on it if the owner has used it for more than a certain amount of time in Italy.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
That'll qualify for classic insurance won't it? If so I don't think there's an NCT needed.

Apart from the NCT you can probably bring it in as you would a car from the UK, although you don't need to pay VRT on it if the owner has used it for more than a certain amount of time in Italy.
The NCT has changed-anything younger than 40 years old needs an NCT

·
Registered
442 Posts
Reading this only now - in terms of the import process, nothing that hasn't been said yet.

Being the car in Italy, I would warmly recommend to have it checked VERY thoroughly, being...familiar with the area :)D), I know there's a tendency to do insane-level repairs on the cheap (like, I've literally seen the whole nose cut off of a car and welded on another one!), or to "mix'n match" - not unlikely for example to find a 1.6 75 with the gearbox/diff off of a 2.0 TS; Excellent for the handling / performance, but in case of a classic...it may not be so desirable.

What is the car if I may ask? Duetto spider or a GTV6?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts