Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all Alfa owners out there!
Today as I was doing the weekly checks, I saw something rather interesting. I saw these markings as I was adding a little bit of oil. I am pretty sure i never seen them before and I would like to ask if I should be worried about them. The car runs perfectly fine and it has 390.000kms. It also developed a light ticking sound yesterday as i started it up, but after a while it stopped.
PS: The engine was almost full of oil, there was no need to add in case you think it was low on oil! The car also has new timing belt,oil & oil filter, air filter (1500km). 156 1.6 2002
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello to all Alfa owners out there!
Today as I was doing the weekly checks, I saw something rather interesting. I saw these markings as I was adding a little bit of oil. I am pretty sure i never seen them before and I would like to ask if I should be worried about them. The car runs perfectly fine and it has 390.000kms. It also developed a light ticking sound yesterday as i started it up, but after a while it stopped.
PS: The engine was almost full of oil, there was no need to add in case you think it was low on oil! The car also has new timing belt,oil & oil filter, air filter (1500km). 156 1.6 2002
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Take off the valve cover and take a close look at all the component if there is any wear look for small metal parts.
The tikking could be coming from a valve lifter that is not properly oild when the oil is cold...........390000 km is not exatly "as new " :) you know.
Succes

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine has a slight exhaust leak that goes when the engine starts to warm up, causes a loud ticking noise. Comes back after being stopped for a few minutes but quickly goes again.

You may just have wear on the cam shafts, may be worth looking for a set fom a 2.0 twinspark, engine will be more responsive or so I hear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take off the valve cover and take a close look at all the component if there is any wear look for small metal parts.
The tikking could be coming from a valve lifter that is not properly oild when the oil is cold...........390000 km is not exatly "as new " :) you know.
Succes
Thank you for the reply! The ticking noice never came back again so I guess you were right about the lifters. As I took a closer look it seems like its not worn a camshaft but more like cleaned carbon as it had an oil change recently (1500km ago). The markings are not violent if you know what i mean. Anyway, thank you again! :blabla:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has a slight exhaust leak that goes when the engine starts to warm up, causes a loud ticking noise. Comes back after being stopped for a few minutes but quickly goes again.

You may just have wear on the cam shafts, may be worth looking for a set fom a 2.0 twinspark, engine will be more responsive or so I hear.

I'll check mine for that too, but i dont think its an exhaust leak as it ticked 2-3 times in its lifetime (at least with me! 2011-today). Also that 2.0 camshaft idea seems very interesting. Thanks for the reply ! :rotate:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
1.8 and 2.0 TS camshafts are the same.
2.0 JTS is similar but different but the JTS engines can often suffer from camshaft wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts