Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have Been to see a 156 2.5 V6 on a 54 plate it is however an import car shoud i be thinking about buying it due to the amout of bad press they have. could you give me any problems that you may face with such a car

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
If its a European import to full UK spec it should be OK, but they tend to have lower residulas. However, as you're buying it 2nd hand thats currently to your advantage:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As Kevin says you are fine if to UK spec. If it is well priced then you are Ok and may as well take the advantage, if it is at book price then use it to your advantage and barter price down!

There is no Alfa factory in UK - They are all imports! Only down to specification - You will probably find that the only difference is no window etching. I owned a couple of 156 imports although not obvious as the log book did not say so, hence did not effect my resale - I done the research and used it to my advantage when purchasing though!

W

·
0 Posts
I'm not convinced the lower residualts applies later in the car's life, perhaps to the trade but if a private punter wants the car they#ll pay the money.

However, as the car is two years old will it have any warranty left? Are they supplying any with the car?

wrinx

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
You'll get it serviced easily & parts will be normal. Also, no issues with an aftermarket warranty should you want one. 2.5V6 = Mmmm :cool:

If the price is right & it's a minter go for it!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chears guys

it has covered 17,000 and is also now due for a service not a mark on the body work engine heads need degreasing rear and passenger seats dont look like they have ever been sat on. i am a little bit concerned about the fuel consuption and how much the services are going to cost on the V6 ("Cam Belt changing")

the engine sound makes me wet myself so god knows what it's like when you push it :)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The only issue here is that there is no such thing as a full UK spec 54 plate 2.5 V6!

The last one was on an 03 plate, that said, this may make it even more desirable, but there isnt an equivelent UK spec car.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
cam belts don't need doing for 72k miles or a few years, I think it was 3 or 5, so you have a bit of time left. Just thinking, heads being all gready at 17k sounds a bit odd.

My mums got an L reg merc with 21k on it, and the engine looks mint, except a thin layer of dirt. Where is the crap - is it near the oil filler cap?

Because it's easy to spill oil around that area when filling, but even my v6 that died at 133k didn't have greasy heads - although the sump is a different story.

And yep, the v6 is thirsty, but the power had to come from somewhere. Just for example, the 2.5 v6 24v makes 190 bhp. I have a peugeot 406 coupe with a 3.0 v6 24v, and that also makes 190 bhp. The 2.5 is truely a great engine, I believe it may have won awards when revised for the 156.

·
Registered
460 Posts
my 156 is an import cant see any difference on the car or spec,the only thing that says its an import is the shipping papers i have for it.
Id say go for it m8

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it maybe just a little dirty i think it needs a rag and a good polish. The rest of the car looks in mint condition except a few chips on the bonet which you would expect and one small dink in the rear passenger door which chips away could get out with ease it has still got some of the wax that they use to cote the cars for sale on the passenger side front wing would this come off with a good shampoo and re waxing to a buff shine.

i have just got an insurance quote for it at £1100 3yr NCD and £800 4yr NCD next year :wow: but i think it would be worth every penny

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yeah, that's one disadvantage of the beautiful arese v6, it looks so good, that you want it looking perfect.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have also been looking at an R reg with 66K on the clock, same engine but with a full GTA style Body kit, wheels and Einbach sports suspension full service history (SERVICES AT 7434, 21309 , 32230, 32445, 39427, 51670, 60315, 66626) new belts tensioners and pulleys and water pump fitted could you tel me if you think this would be a good buy for £4500 sorry for being a pain but i dont want to waist my money if i dont have to on a car loan if this will run well and wont fall apart

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have also been looking at an R reg with 66K on the clock, same engine but with a full GTA style Body kit, wheels and Einbach sports suspension full service history (SERVICES AT 7434, 21309 , 32230, 32445, 39427, 51670, 60315, 66626) new belts tensioners and pulleys and water pump fitted could you tel me if you think this would be a good buy for £4500 sorry for being a pain but i dont want to waist my money if i dont have to on a car loan if this will run well and wont fall apart

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry dup post

·
Registered
75 Posts
wrinx said:
I'm not convinced the lower residualts applies later in the car's life, perhaps to the trade but if a private punter wants the car they#ll pay the money. wrinx
I totally agree, on cars over 4yr old - it doesnt matter, most have depreciated enough not to matter, and as long as the Spec is the same (or better) than UK.

after all, all Alfas are imported, the difference is a few cars about 6 or 7 years ago were bought new (UK spec) in germany or holland cos it was massively cheaper.

Trade dont care when they sell the car on, they might ply some BS at you when trading in though to mark the price down, but its just that BS!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
cj romeo said:
The only issue here is that there is no such thing as a full UK spec 54 plate 2.5 V6!

The last one was on an 03 plate, that said, this may make it even more desirable, but there isnt an equivelent UK spec car.
Well noted CJ!

You seem very undecided on what you want Mr Mole - You are considering the first and last of the 156s - An "R" plate and a "54" plate! You don't say how much the 54 plate is so it is hard to advise, but £4.5k for an almost 10 year old 156 is hefty, although it has been uprated (Personally I would prefer to buy standard and uprate myself!)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is up for £7999 on a 54 plate

W

·
0 Posts
themole said:
I'm not an expert on prices but I'd say that was overpriced by at least £1500! Some "R" reg Twinsparks are down to £1500...you do the maths ;)

I'd go for the newer one, but no idea about the price, sorry.

wrinx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts