Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entering the M23 from the slip road on Sunday which merges into single file before entering the Motorway, a driver in a Peugeot, I think, came alongside me on the driver's side forcing his way in front of me, giving me no room for manoeuvre other than me veering sharply to my left to avoid collision. This resulted in me jumping a high kerb and dropping back down again. Fortunately no damage to tyre or wheel and all ok with steering and suspension. However I am now left with a 5 inch scar on the front passenger wheel arch.

Needless to say this driver was oblivious of what had happened and disappeared rapidly into the distance. I could not get any details as I had to concentrate on avoiding a collision and keeping the car stable. Sod's law was I forgot to have my dash cam active on the day.

Not sufficient for an insurance claim and the cost will be less than my excess. Have a good bodyshop guy 10 mins down the road from me and will be seeing him tomorrow so he can give his view on cost.

Makes your blood boil at times:censored::evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Entering the M23 from the slip road on Sunday which merges into single file before entering the Motorway, a driver in a Peugeot, I think, came alongside me on the driver's side forcing his way in front of me, giving me no room for manoeuvre other than me veering sharply to my left to avoid collision. This resulted in me jumping a high kerb and dropping back down again. Fortunately no damage to tyre or wheel and all ok with steering and suspension. However I am now left with a 5 inch scar on the front passenger wheel arch.

Needless to say this driver was oblivious of what had happened and disappeared rapidly into the distance. I could not get any details as I had to concentrate on avoiding a collision and keeping the car stable. Sod's law was I forgot to have my dash cam active on the day.

Not sufficient for an insurance claim and the cost will be less than my excess. Have a good bodyshop guy 10 mins down the road from me and will be seeing him tomorrow so he can give his view on cost.

Makes your blood boil at times:censored::evil:
You have my sympathy, I have been driving quite a few miles over Christmas week and have had a few near misses, where a collision had to be avoided by me swerving. Many drivers seem to have lost their marbles. Perhaps Alfa could offer an option, where instead of fog lights, we have heavy calibre machine guns protruding ! :furious:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Where I live most of the perps seem to have moved to larger 4 wheel drive Korean cars like KIA Sportages! They drive on the road like they would amble through a shopping mall with no courtesy for anyone but themselves! What has gone wrong in such a short time in this country?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Funny thing is if you go onto the coppers forums they don't seem to think anything has changed. They still think they are very effective and police the roads really well. Put a drive in Nottingham city on your bucket list! Undertaking, overtaking, road rage, filter lanes that encourage stock car behaviour at every set of lights or roundabout. Horrible place to drive with no impunity for very obvious, frequent aggressive offenders!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Put a drive in Nottingham city on your bucket list!
The amount of times i almost got run over on maid Marion way, or any other road for that matter. No one seemed to know what a red light meant.
It was always fun to watch the odd driver go down the tram lines and not realise that no, its not a road :biglaugh:
but i do miss Nottingham really.

But on a serious note, the amount of people just pulling out of junctions and not looking is terrifying at the moment, far to many close calls on the bike in the past few weeks (which is red and very loud, not to mention my high vis) im sticking to the car until things improve.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The amount of times i almost got run over on maid Marion way, or any other road for that matter. No one seemed to know what a red light meant.
It was always fun to watch the odd driver go down the tram lines and not realise that no, its not a road :biglaugh:

But on a serious note, the amount of people just pulling out of junctions and not looking is terrifying at the moment, far to many close calls on the bike in the past few weeks (which is red and very loud, not to mention my high vis) im sticking to the car until things improve.
Are you talking about motorcycles? I am thinking about getting back on a bike but always thought I was defensive enough? What puts you off if that's the case?

·
Registered
464 Posts

Perhaps part of the problem here is the lack of lateral front and side vision, coupled with seat belt pre-tensioners. The reason I say this is, as a 6'5" driver my eye sight line is completely blocked by the interior mirror and much reduced off-side front because of the close proximity and width of the windscreen A-Pilar, then the drivers door block side view without being able to move forward once the brakes are applied, even very gentle braking pins me in the seat unless I move forward before applying the brakes.

All this never caused a problem until these newer car standards came out.
In summary for me the older cars give easier/better/clear visibility without hinderance, newer cars with much better crash survivability have reduced this, leading to more incidences as mentioned.....
err and the Me Me FU attitude that prevails in some of those on the UK roads today.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are you talking about motorcycles? I am thinking about getting back on a bike but always thought I was defensive enough? What puts you off if that's the case?

Please be careful on the bike, as a motorcyclist who still owns my bike but had to hang my helmet up after a bad mountain bike accident of all things. I loved my riding days and feel like I was put into a kind of forced retired stuck with 4 wheels.
The comments I left above I hope will explain some of modern cars limitations and some drivers expectations.

I was told as a 17 year old when I started riding motorcycles on the road; consider all cars, HGV's etc as not seeing you (Ever) in situations like t-junctions, then once past relax my two fingered grip over the brake leaver and back on the throttle again. As a lad used to off road trial riding, I soon realised riding on the road went with tribulations as well!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Maid Marion way comment was on my own two feet.
Red light / Green man seems to mean speed up to some people.

Always on the defence on the bike! best way to ride and know where every car is around you and what they are doing.
Just the general mentality of Surrey drivers is horrible, from overtaking, speed, road positioning, cutting corners and junctions with a complete lack of curtsey or manners. I also think as the number of bikes drops over winter, people stop paying attention or looking for us.

Plus ive got a lovely 65 plate G QV line MA 170 to run in. its still got that new car smell inside.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My Maid Marion way comment was on my own two feet.
Red light / Green man seems to mean speed up to some people.

Always on the defence on the bike! best way to ride and know where every car is around you and what they are doing.
Just the general mentality of Surrey drivers is horrible, from overtaking, speed, road positioning, cutting corners and junctions with a complete lack of curtsey or manners. I also think as the number of bikes drops over winter, people stop paying attention or looking for us.

Plus ive got a lovely 65 plate G QV line MA 170 to run in. its still got that new car smell inside.
Really pleased for you but I'm missing the motorbike experience.Without me sat on it the next purchase is 1000bhp/tonne!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Really pleased for you but I'm missing the motorbike experience.Without me sat on it the next purchase is 1000bhp/tonne!
There will always be a bike in the garage!
For my type of riding my 650 SM is more than enough (and ridiculous fun) but i do miss my ZX6R 636 every now and again.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The biggest issue I've noticed over the past week with the increased rainfall is the increase in numpties driving with their rear fog lights on.

If the clue in the name isn't enough for them to work it out then they should have their license revoked.

Harsh it may seem, but this kind of act is just one of many that the idiots on our roads carry out on a daily basis....and with blissful ignorance. :censored:

I hope the OP gets their car sorted soon.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The biggest issue I've noticed over the past week with the increased rainfall is the increase in numpties driving with their rear fog lights on.
Rear fogs should be used in cases of very poor visibility (Snow, Fog & Heavy Rain) and if anything I'd say too few drivers were using them today.

My pet hate are people that use front fogs ALL THE TIME!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Rear fogs should be used in cases of very poor visibility (Snow, Fog & Heavy Rain) and if anything I'd say too few drivers were using them today.

My pet hate are people that use front fogs ALL THE TIME!
As long as people realise the chances of you seeing their brake lights being on or off vastly decreases when rear fogs are in use, if the general traffic on a motorway is down to say 20 - 30mph due to the visibility being that poor, then fair enough, but if your still travelling at over 50mph and people have their rear fog lights on, either your going to quick or the fog lights should not be on?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Total agree the sentiments regarding front & rear fog light use.
Just a shame not all drivers realise and/or practice the Highway Code use covering fog lights.

Highway Code rule 226 covers front and rear fog light use;
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

Highway Code rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226 above) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Front driving lights are not to be confused with front fog lights.
"driving lights" must be wired so that they go off using the same switch as your obligatory main beams.
(Schedule 5, Parts I and II of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 198.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts