Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im after some info, i have a 98 spider with no keys, my friend has a 98 coupe that hes breaking, what do i need to swap from his car ? Complete lockset, immobiliser ecu and engine ecu ?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep, that's the What u need !

Don't forget the airbag switch in the passenger footwell

You won't have a cubby hole (behind the seats on spider) lock on the GTV, All others are swappable

Swap the glovebox lid or whole glove box, in case u damage the lid swapping the barrel

Make sure ECU is the same part number

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both cars are 98 2.0ts, so is it likely the ecu is different ? As im swapping everything would it matter if the numbers were different ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting open a phase 1 key to get to the transponder. Would save all the lock changing.
I originally thought the same, the chip can then be placed in a key where the case can be opened (some, but not all ph2 cars have this type, where key had an alarm button for instance)

Trouble is the op does not have any keys for his spider!

I guess for him, if it is possible to find the key cutting code from a lock, then a new key can be cut, or a locksmith could cut one from the barrel cloning the chip from a donor key. That key can then be cloned again as required or if the donor key is a master key, then he new key can be used to program the ECUs with new virgin keys

Rich

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting open a phase 1 key to get to the transponder. Would save all the lock changing.
If you cut away the red plastic. You will find it has a smaller black plastic key head inside with a little draw that pulls out with the transponder inside.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
I originally thought the same, the chip can then be placed in a key where the case can be opened (some, but not all ph2 cars have this type, where key had an alarm button for instance)

Trouble is the op does not have any keys for his spider!

I guess for him, if it is possible to find the key cutting code from a lock, then a new key can be cut, or a locksmith could cut one from the barrel cloning the chip from a donor key. That key can then be cloned again as required or if the donor key is a master key, then he new key can be used to program the ECUs with new virgin keys

Rich
The key code is normally on the ignition barrel but that's not easy to get out without the key. If fitted then it's also printed on the airbag lock. Failing either of those then it's easy to work out the key code using a blank key.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Should have also said the prefix for the GTV key codes is W0 which is missing on any codes on the car.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Both cars are 98 2.0ts, so is it likely the ecu is different ? As im swapping everything would it matter if the numbers were different ?
If they are both of the same phase, then not a problem as all the part numbers will be the same( unless you have an extremely late registered pre facelift phase 1)

·
Registered
515 Posts
You can extract the key transponder data from the yellow immobilizer box in your car and recreate the original keys. I have made a software that does the job. Talk to Cromwell who posted earlier in this thread. If you send him the box and one lock, he can probably help you with both key cutting and programming the tranponders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would actually suit me better if i could get keys made for my original locks/imobiliser as my friend doesnt really want to imobilise his spares car just yet. If there is anyone on here that could cut and code me a couple of keys please let me know.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts