Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My code light desnt come on when I turn the key - and the immobiliser wont switch off (starter motor turns over etc, but engine wont fire) - all the other threads on here seem to be people having problems that the code light comes on, but wont go off.

Has anyone tried a code light that wont come on?

In the instruction book there is a procedure for whn code light wont go off - can I start the car by following this when the code light hasnt even come on?

Car is a 2001 147TS

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Perhaps I'm being dopey but why do you think it's an immobiliser problem......maybe crankshaft sensor ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I dont know that the cause of the problem is the immobiliser - I just know (think) it's the result, as the code light doesnt come on, and the car then wont start - but the symptoms seem the same as other people who have had immobiliser problems - i.e starter motor turns over fine, (battery is only a couple of months old) and engine doesnt fire...

The problem seems to be worse in cold weather

I've had this problem a few times this winter, but not been able to track down the cause yet. The wierd thing is that every time it happens the central locking and door remote also fails (I can unlock front doors individually manually with the key), and the little red interior door lights also fail - though other interior lights work.

All the same symptoms always appear together, and it wont start...

I'm no mechanic, so I cant do anything but simple fixes myself at this stage, but I'd really like to be able to use my car in cold weather without spending a fortune...

I'm very tempted to try the code start procedure, but as it's described in the handbook it's designed for when the code light wont go off - is there any chance this will work, and if not will I damage anything trying it?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Doubt if car would start with code start procedure and it's only a temporary fix....best to get diagnosis done.
Luckily I found a local garage close to me that put it on diagnosis...turned out to be error code
P0335 crankshaft sensor....all in £89 diagnosis,supply & fit.
It takes away a lot of hassle.but then I'm bone idle !!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
It sounds to me like a problem with the permanent 12V supply. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, and try a different battery if you can.

After that, it's probably a case of removing each fuse and relay and cleaning the blades of them...

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
.......but as Iain says...cos he's not bone idle.....try his idea first.:thumbs:
It's a case of trial & error.....I'm one for weighing up the options.
Crankshaft refitting was out of my scope....I use this forum for answers and if it's an easy fix,I'll try it.If not,at least I know what's wrong with it and I can then use the local garage with a modicum of knowledge.
That's why I love this site so much.
I have to admit that some fixes seem dopey.....like a number plate light bulb warning light.....someone offered a fix....give the bulb a tap...how childish........do you know what ? It bl**dy worked !!

Keep up the good work,chaps !!:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm like you Ronan, happy to try the simple stuff if someone points me in the right direction - and this forum is great for that!

i'll take a look at the fuses and try fiddling with the wires to the code box, if that doesnt work I guess it's another trip to the local garage - but at least I might understand what they're talking about :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi All

i'm also sitting with the same problem, i get the immobiliser failure alarm and my car won't fire either. how can i by-pass this immobiliser?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
hi All

i'm also sitting with the same problem, i get the immobiliser failure alarm and my car won't fire either. how can i by-pass this immobiliser?
The CODE light is on?

More than likely to be the antenna from the immobiliser to the ignition barrel.

Do you have a little card in your owner's pack with 5 numbers on it? You can start it with that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi 147DK
I also have the same problem with my 147. Engine turns over but wont spark and I have no code or immobilser warning lights on. Did U ever get a fix for this? My local garage dont have an answer for it but they are not Alfa experts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi 147DK
I also have the same problem with my 147. Engine turns over but wont spark and I have no code or immobilser warning lights on. Did U ever get a fix for this? My local garage dont have an answer for it but they are not Alfa experts
Hi, I followed Ian's advice and cleaned the battery terminals and the fuses/relays and it started working again. Now it starts fine every time.

I'm hoping that was the problem, but the weather has also improved, so that could also be what did it - it only seemed to be a problem when the temp was below freezing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should mention that I had my local alfa garage run diags when the problem first started , and it came up clean. I dont know how relevant that is, but I guess it shows it's worth poking around in the fuse box before paying a garage to diag it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts