Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would love to pick your collective brains on something! I've just walked out to my Alfa Romeo GTV to find it unlocked and the glove box open :(

Nothing was stolen thankfully, and there was absolutely no damage or even sign of how they got in, but when I went to start the car it was completely dead.

There are no lights, noises, clicks...nothing when I turn the key.

I don't know if it's the battery (maybe they left the light on when then left)' or the immobiliser.

If it's the immobiliser could anyone help me!? I have the code but I don't know how to turn the car back on. My key is the servicing one (the red one with nothing on it...blank). Does that make a difference? I thought I had to key the 4 digit code into the stereo, but that won't even turn on to enter any code.

I'm at a complete loss, so if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!

Thanking you all in advance,

el00oc.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If it's the immobiliser, the "code" light should be on. The fact there are no lights at all on the dash, I would start with the battery and go from there.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
First thing you need to do is check that your battery is fully charged and then take it from there..
Mitch166;4593981 I would start with the battery and go from there.[/QUOTE said:
:thumbs: great minds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was an awesomely fast response!

Thank you so much!

I'm just waiting for the RAC so I'll let you know if it's the battery.

el00oc

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The immobiliser (CODE), does not cut all power to the car. It only cuts power to the spark plug, so engine will turn over but will not fire up. So as seadart suggests recharge your battery and start from there.

Important - If you jump start the car, please make sure that the keys are out of the ignition switch, as connecting up the jump leads to your car can cause voltage spikes and if the keys are in the ignition some ECU'S will detect a phantom fault due to the voltage spike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...it was indeed the battery! Thank you all so much for your quick answers, and thank you for the warning Stixy.

I don't suppose anyone knows if you can break into a GTV with just a coat hanger? Because there's not a scratch on the car. Apart from putting a 'Theres no sat navy' sticker in the car, I don't know how to stop getting broken into. If it was so easy for them to do it, I'm worried they'll keep doing it.

Any ideas on helping protect the mighty GTV?!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think that you may have forgotten to lock the car.. we have all done it.. they saw the button in the 'up' position.. rifled through the glovebox.. didn't find anthing and then quietly closed the door.. didn't want to wake you up with a slam!! courtesy light still on .. flat battery..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So...it was indeed the battery! Thank you all so much for your quick answers, and thank you for the warning Stixy.Thanks
No worries, glad your sorted.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I forget to lock mine quite a lot... or the locks bounce when the passenger doesn't shut the door in time, or for a dozen other reasons...

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
On my car there is a slight delay in between hitting the button on the remote and the locks going down. Hit it twice and it goes down then back up. I always lock with the key now and watch the button go down.
As for security, I doubt its possible to get in without the key and GTVs are sometimes hard enough to get round the immobilser to start the engine even when you have the key let alone without it.:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your responses.

It was indeed the courtesy light being left on after being rifled through. I hope I didn't leave it unlocked but I suppose it's possible (I know I've done it before!). If nobody thinks it's possible to get in without a key (easily) then I must have left it unlocked. :mad:

Oh well, at least no damage was done. They left the plastic Christmas tree, fairy lights, and thick book entitled 'The Story Of Art'...wonder why!?

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
The immobiliser (CODE), does not cut all power to the car. It only cuts power to the spark plug, so engine will turn over but will not fire up. So as seadart suggests recharge your battery and start from there.

Important - If you jump start the car, please make sure that the keys are out of the ignition switch, as connecting up the jump leads to your car can cause voltage spikes and if the keys are in the ignition some ECU'S will detect a phantom fault due to the voltage spike.
Cuts more then just sparks.

Anything connected to the ECU will not function, sparks, injectors, fuel pump etc all dead.

If the interior light caused the flat battery something is not right, they're n a timer and go out after 5 minutes.

Might want to have it checked out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now you come to mention it, my alternator belt sounds very dodgy. Perhaps the battery can't take much flogging? Because you're right, having the gove box light on for a couple of days sounds pretty easy on the battery.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I left the glove box open all weekend once... flat battery.. should it be on a timer??
The glove box light stays on when the car's locked up? I got into the habit years ago of leaving glove box, arm rest cubby hole etc. open to show there was nothing worth breaking in for (doesn't work so well with the spring-loaded GTV glove box, mind you). Maybe I've been lucky to not end up with a flat battery that way?

·
Registered
68 Posts

how do you jump start the car WITHOUT the keys in the ignition? :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts