Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

The mrs took the 156 to town earlier today, and it wouldn't start when she got back to it a few minutes later.

Recovered it tonight, and it's throwing up a U1600 fault:

Failed Component Code: Immobiliser
Fault Symptom: Signal Not Plausible
Warning Lamp Status: Warning Lamp Illuminated
Fault Test State: Test complete for this Error or not applicable.
Fault Code Storage State: Error Present at time of request
Event Count: 64 count
Filter Count: 0 count
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Not ok
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Code received
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Key code ok
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Non Virgin Ecu
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Engine start enabled
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Universal code not received
Environmental Condition Two: Battery Voltage: 13.16 volts

In addition to this, the immobiliser sensors in the ECU show:

Immob-No Code Received: False
Immob-Code Unknown: False
Immob-Erroneous Key Code: True
Immob-Engine Start Disabled: True
Immob-Virgin ECU: False
Immob-Universal Code Received: False
Immob-Separate Line Used: True

The lines that jump out are the 'universal code not received' and 'erroneous key code'.

In addition to this, possibly unrelated, the alarm wasn't very keen to deactivate (and unlock the doors). It did have a low battery at that point though.

I'm thinking it's possibly the ignition barrel antenna, or a battery-disconnect procedure.

So...any other ideas anyone? I have (I think) a complete code/ecu/key set (somewhere). If I resort to changing the modules, exactly which ones do I need to swap?

Thanks,

Iain

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Iain

Did exactly the same pre Christmas...no joy...it's finding the wee bugger that's the problem !!

Ended up having to get code/ecu/keys reprogrammed to fix the damned thing.......and a new battery...£380 lighter now !:cry:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iain

Did exactly the same pre Christmas...no joy...it's finding the wee bugger that's the problem !!

Ended up having to get code/ecu/keys reprogrammed to fix the damned thing.......and a new battery...£380 lighter now !:cry:
Eeech! I don't fancy that much!

Did you enquire about obtaining the emergency start code, out of interest?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Iain - also replied in "another place" - if you have to change anything apart from the antenna wire - and its not usually that that fails = you have to change the ECU, the code box, and the key/barrel or swap the chip in the key.

But first look carefully at the wiring to the relays in front of the battery - one of these controls the immobiliser - don't rely on the notation on the cover over the relay, it often tells lies. Check that the wires going into the relay blocks are sound - the official term is "stress" them - they are often corroded - and of course check the relay terminals themselves....tho the relays are rarely faulty.

Oh - the alarm issue is a complete red herring - there is NO connection whatsoever between the alarm and the immobiliser (he repeats for the umpteenth time:lol:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Iain

Hi Ronan,

I take it yours is all fully sorted now?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right...I bought the emergency start code over the phone from Alfa today - no hassles whatsoever. They even gave me the code before taking my card details. I was soooo tempted to hang up hehehehe.

£17, but it's done the job. I can now start the car, and it would appear to lay the blame squarely at the antenna.

I'll try to test/change it tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far! :thumbs:

rgwm - thanks for confirmation re the alarm. I knew the transponder was un-powered, but wasn't sure if the failure of the code ecu/alarm ecu could affect the other. Guess I need to look out my stock of microswitches and solder another one on....!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You get a 5-digit code from the dealer, which is held on a 3rd party database. In other countries you get a code card with the vehicle, but UK insurance companies forbade it :rolleyes:

The procedure is in the owner's handbook (which I don't have, but Mike2909 relayed it to me). Don't take this as verbatum, but it goes something like:

Turn key to MAR
(I waited for the normal lights to go out here)
Hold down accelerator pedal (AP) for 8 seconds
Injection light goes out
Release AP ***
Inj light flashes. After it has flashed the same number of flashes as the 1st digit of the code, press and hold the AP
Inj light goes out.
Repeat from *** for the remaining 4 digits.
After entry is complete, the inj light flashes quickly for 4 seconds.
Start the car by turning ignition key from mar to avv. Don't switch it off, or you need to start all over again.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Iain

Good to see you got your code....I read the handbook but since i had insurance cover for a recovery truck to the indie alfa garage,i thought i would use that.

Surely even though you have the means to start the car,you still have to find the cause of the problem. My garage couldn't and the only thing was reprogramming.......I think it might have started from a battery on it's way out.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Surely even though you have the means to start the car,you still have to find the cause of the problem. My garage couldn't and the only thing was reprogramming.......I think it might have started from a battery on it's way out.
Yep, I have a work-around, not a fix. But it means that my code ECU is ok (and presumably connected to the engine/body ECU), which means the key's transponder isn't being read, which is usually caused by the antenna failing or dislodging itself.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yeh,you're probably right.

In my case,even if I'd used an emergency code, I had a duff battery and it wouldn't have started anyway.

Good luck in your problem hunting !:thumbs:

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Yep, I have a work-around, not a fix. But it means that my code ECU is ok (and presumably connected to the engine/body ECU), which means the key's transponder isn't being read, which is usually caused by the antenna failing or dislodging itself.

Not sure Iain - I "think" the emergency start procedure effectively bypasses the code box...could be wrong, though.......

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking back at the original fault report, I think what it's saying is:

Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Code received
Environmental Condition One: Immobiliser: Key code ok
The 'code received' thing might be the handshake code (ECUs paired ok).
The 5-digit emergency start code is ok. I thought the 'key code' was the transponder code, but it can't have been.

Universal code not received
Means transponder code hasn't been read.

This is just my best-guess though :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
hijack ur old thred

hi im aving probs with my 156 jtd 2.4... i thought it was the dredded antenna but i put a ohm meter accross it and it read 4.9 so im guessing its not a break in there.... if i was to get the code do you have to put it in every time? sounds like it takes ages! any help please: :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts