Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intesting article about Mazda (with heaps of Alfa comparisons):

Mazda's Design Goal

"The brand is seen as a Japanese version of Alfa Romeo - not a bad place to be..." :D

"Now we need to make them go from hero to superhero. I don't want to be the Japanese Alfa. I want to be Mazda."

Since the wifey drives a MX5, I have a passing interest in Mazdas, and the article is worth a read. The brand certainly have come a long way since the uber dull jap mobiles of the 80s and 90s, and they now produce some of the most exciting cheap and sporty cars from that part of the world.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Yes and hope you all noticed the reference to my old chum Moray Callum. Haven't seen him in years and yes if you think you've heard the name before he's Ian Callum's little brother. Both were born and raised here in Dumfries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we've got an mx5 too and its a lot of fun... great build quality for the price and nothing, just nothing beats the feeling of open top motoring in the summer. So when are Alfa going to do a realistically priced cabrilolet??????? I'd save up all my pocket money to buy one, promise!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The problem with Mazda as I see it it that they are great at copying, but no so good at innovating...

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Gary has beaten me to the punch again today! ..... what he said ..... darn it!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Snokio said:
Gary has beaten me to the punch again today! ..... what he said ..... darn it!
:lol: When was the first time though? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
God point Hazey Jane, there is defo a market out there for a decent MX5 competitor. A fun, affordable rag top that will put a grin on anyone's face in the summer months. A succesor to the Fiat Barchetta, in rhd, with an Alfa badge:)
It doesn't have to be better than the MX5 (a tall order) but just get close, the 'coolness' of the marque will do the rest.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I don't think Alfa really want to compete with the MX-5 to be honest. I think they want to bring out something that will better it, and the Devo etc point the direction they need to head in.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
You can't knock Mazda's guts for still using the rotary engine, I know it's not necesserly 'originality' but it's close.
Alfa should do an MX5 rival and it SHOULD be better, it's just not good enough for Alfa to live on past reputations and it's romantic name. Back in the sixties Alfa was a force to be reckoned with, the cars were simply brilliant, class leading in fact. But recently they have been good, some excellent, but never class leading.
The MX5 has been the best small sports car for some time now yet they stole the formula of the British and Italians :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
BrianNielsen said:
Intesting article about Mazda (with heaps of Alfa comparisons):

Mazda's Design Goal

"The brand is seen as a Japanese version of Alfa Romeo - not a bad place to be..." :D
Does that mean that the chap over the road with his Mazda 3 is supposed to have the Japanese version of my 147! :eek: I find that fairly insulting! :rolleyes:

I think Mazda have got a good thing going with the RX-8, MX-5 and even the Mazda 6 but I think they lose it further down the range with the Ford influenced models (3 and 2 etc). Better off sticking to the sporty models, in which case the Alfa analogy makes a little more sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts