Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of fixing/replacing my wiper linkage on my newly bought 159. Spotted an image the other day, of where somebody had drilled and bolted straight through the rod and plastic, and reinforced with 2 tie wraps. But now I can’t find the image. Does somebody who knows which image I am on about point me in the right direction please? Would be very much appreciated. ?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
FFS did they not sort this on the 159. Was a common thing in the 147. Mine went about 6 months before I got the 159.
Got some super strong epoxy resin and covered the plastic break. Was stronger than metal afterwords.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks giblets, but yeah I’ve already looked at that thread and the image isn’t there. There was another thread (which I now can’t find) with a guy who did the washer mod, but prior to that he did the 8mm bolt mod. But the 8mm bolt was proud on each side, so that a cable tie could be used each side to then wrap back around the spindle. Hence tying it all together. It’s annoying how I know I’ve seen it and now I can’t find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigjim, yeah I think that’s how I’m going to have to approach mine now. It’s completely snapped my linkage. So got some QuikSteel plastic compound to hopefully bond it back into the link bar. Then I’ll reinforce the outside with Q-Bond. See how strong it is.
If I’d have been a little bit more flush with cash at this exact moment I’d have just bought a brand new Alfa unit. But I think you still have to mod this to maintain reliability?
Hopefully this will be the only repair I’ll have to do for a while, wanted to own an Alfa for about 20 years, quite an introduction to ave to fix it straight away. ?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Iirc they had a metal sleeve then went to plastic. It used to snap right at this joint. I'll check my photobucket. I may have pics on there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can’t get that photobucket link to work properly.

Hoping I’ve made the right decision buying my 2.4 Ti now, looking at threads regarding the new MOT, not filling me with confidence. When I bought this 4 weeks ago, the guy revved it to let me hear the Wizard back boxes, and it did have an ever so small amount of black smoke (ala all diesels) but that would mean a fail of MOT. Not good.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
No smoke can be emitted during the "metered tests"....so that's not when starting (when most give a puff) or during accelerating the engine...only when at constant speed (full revs for a max of six times)...it should not smoke then unless you have a problem or a poor quality after market map. Too much scaremongering on here about the new MOT..let's see what happens in the first few months before panicking! They would not introduce an MOT that current cars could not pass...that would not help anyone. No one wants to drive these cars off the road..just want to make them as clean as they should be. If you have modded your car, knowing this change would happen ages ago, and it doesn't pass then no one else is to blame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s not modded to my knowledge. Got all the bills and receipts, and aside from Wizard rear sections being fitted it’s standard. I do remember when viewing, he revved the engine twice so I could here the exhaust note, and I did see an ever so slight puff but that’s it. Didn’t smoke at any other point. He used DPF additive every 3rd full tank as well, so I’d have thought it would be well maintained in that direction. Guess I’ll find out in a few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts